Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic folding/bending of a sheet metal.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
maros.mmo
1487 Views, 9 Replies

Basic folding/bending of a sheet metal.

Hi,

I want to bend/fold this piece over a specific profile. Could somebody point me in a direction where to start? There are too many tools for bending a sheet metal and I just don´t know where to start. I searched the web and this forum but there are too many options. Also when I create the flat pattern, it should be precise with a difference max +/-5mm.
I thought I could use contour flange. Usualy it works. But only when it´s a simple rectangle. But not on this part.

If you know about some tutorials I would be very thankfull.

I work with Inventor 2011.

Thanks

Tags (4)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: maros.mmo

You should almost never Fold a part.

Use Contoured Flange.  Always model as finished part.

Attach your ipt file with sketch here.

Could you use some other color for the dimensions?  It is difficult to read those dimensions.

Your sketch should look like this (but with the dimensions - you won't need all of the dimensions since some are redundant). you only need open profile (no thickeness - Inventor will add the thickness).

Flange Sketch.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
maros.mmo

I´m sorry, I forgot to attach the ipt file. Here again.

Also one more question...how do I finish the part?

Message 4 of 10
maros.mmo

I still haven´t figured it out. Problem is when I use contoured flange, the shape of the part won´t be the same. Also when I unfold the part, it´s 60mm longer.

Message 5 of 10
mpatchus

Make sure your sheet metal rules are set for the proper thickness.

maros.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 6 of 10
maros.mmo
in reply to: mpatchus

It´s set to 15mm. But why doesn´t the final part look like I have draw it? See the attachment so we understand eachother.

PS: I can´t open your file.

Message 7 of 10
mpatchus

I would guess that you made your cuts to the flat pattern.

All modifications to the part should be done on the model, not the flat pattern.

See tha attached part.

maros2.JPG

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 8 of 10
maros.mmo

You´re right. At first I draw the part and then I use contour flange. I thought when I do it after, the flat pattern won´t be the same. Thank you very much mpatchus, that helped me. 🙂

Message 9 of 10
JDMather

@mpatchus wrote:

I would guess that you made your cuts to the flat pattern.

All modifications to the part should be done on the model, not the flat pattern.

See tha attached part.

Did you attach the correct file?  That one doesn't look correct? (not like the image you posted - looks like the same file you originally posted)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
mpatchus
in reply to: JDMather

You are correct JD... thanks.. here is the correct file.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report