Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bar clamp (?) - tips needed for drawing + modelling.

47 REPLIES 47
Message 1 of 48
GGOAA
1709 Views, 47 Replies

Bar clamp (?) - tips needed for drawing + modelling.

Hi.

I've received an assignment to draw and model a bar clamp in Inventor that's due in 3-4 days or so. As I had so much success asking for help here last time I struggled with an assignment, I decided to come back again.

First of, what's new with this assignment is that I have an item in my hands that I'm supposed to draw in Inventor. That means I have no measurements at hand nor drawings. I am supposed to hand in drawings (.idw), project file (.ipj), .ipt (I would assume that's the parts file(s)) and assemblies (.iam).

What I have done so far is I've drawed the 'shell' of my bar clamp at hand. Does inventor have a tool that lets me draw a 'technical drawing'? There's a lot of small details I find hard to draw that would be easier to just model, but obviously one can't model something that isn't on the drawing which should be the base of the modelling even though I have the end product in front of me.

I could also need some help on how to present it properly, but let's take that in a couple of days.

I will post my progress as soon as I have the final drawings ready so that my modelling makes sense.

Any feedback is appreciated.

47 REPLIES 47
Message 41 of 48
karthur1
in reply to: GGOAA

I am not where I can use 2013, right now... all that I have is 2014 in front of me.   The first time you use a sketch, by default, it turns off the visibility.  If you are doing an extrusion, you could just make it visible and you can use it again. If you use the same sketch for more than one feature, this is called "Sharing" the sketch.  Here is a video of what you need to do so you can use the sketch in the connector.ipt.

http://screencast.com/t/rIoGNajHTQQ

For whatever reason, this part was a sheetmetal part.   Not sure why or how, but change it back to a standard part.  That is what I did at the 15 sec mark.

Message 42 of 48
GGOAA
in reply to: karthur1

This is perfectly fine, I love doing things myself even if this is a walkthrough. I sorry if it brings a lot of extra work for you. Thank you so much for doing this.

How can I thread(?) this part (the circle) the same way as I did with the threaded part itself? So that I can assemble them together if you understand what I mean. I don't see how I can use the profile in the circle. I've been sitting with this assignment for 16 hours straight now so I'm startin to wear out, but bear with me, I can assure you I'm trying! 😉

Edit: I have now tried to chamfer/fillet this part while I wait for help with the thread profile. One thing I wonder. In the attached .ipt file, chamfer 3 and 4, is it possible for me to both chamfer and fillet? I want to fillet 'reversed' if you know what I mean, to get the form in the attached picture. These are all small details that I try to do while I wait. My main focus is to get this part finished, as roughly as it have to be, and then if I have any time left I can focus on the details.

Message 43 of 48
karthur1

Its no trouble... really.

To make the internal thread, do it the same way as we built the external thread.  Here is another quick video.  You will have to dimension the cut so it is the correct size.

http://screencast.com/t/mhRUCsADl9

Message 44 of 48
GGOAA

You're working ridiculously fast. I guess that'll be my reward, too, when I've worked with Inventor for a while 🙂

I will mark this part as done now, and start my final part, the bar clamp. You've already helped me so much with this part, but if you have any more tips, please feel free to post them, heh. The bending is still bugging me...

I'm glad these videos isn't too much work for you, they're really helping me both in terms of learning, and to speed things up before my deadline now.

Message 45 of 48
karthur1

check your private messages

Message 46 of 48
GGOAA

I have replied.

Message 47 of 48
karthur1

Lars,

one more video.  YOu will have to complete the foot at the top.  Also some dimensions to the profile of the cut that is along the path.

http://screencast.com/t/J0Jfeifxh

To make your asembly and idw, watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yglHbaBHCo.  It is for 2014, but its the same as 2013 for what you are doing.

Good luck,

Kirk

Message 48 of 48
GGOAA

I will indeed have a look at this, and thank you so much for another brilliant video, Kirk.

This will turn out just fine thanks to you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums