Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bar clamp (?) - tips needed for drawing + modelling.

47 REPLIES 47
Message 1 of 48
GGOAA
1715 Views, 47 Replies

Bar clamp (?) - tips needed for drawing + modelling.

Hi.

I've received an assignment to draw and model a bar clamp in Inventor that's due in 3-4 days or so. As I had so much success asking for help here last time I struggled with an assignment, I decided to come back again.

First of, what's new with this assignment is that I have an item in my hands that I'm supposed to draw in Inventor. That means I have no measurements at hand nor drawings. I am supposed to hand in drawings (.idw), project file (.ipj), .ipt (I would assume that's the parts file(s)) and assemblies (.iam).

What I have done so far is I've drawed the 'shell' of my bar clamp at hand. Does inventor have a tool that lets me draw a 'technical drawing'? There's a lot of small details I find hard to draw that would be easier to just model, but obviously one can't model something that isn't on the drawing which should be the base of the modelling even though I have the end product in front of me.

I could also need some help on how to present it properly, but let's take that in a couple of days.

I will post my progress as soon as I have the final drawings ready so that my modelling makes sense.

Any feedback is appreciated.

47 REPLIES 47
Message 2 of 48
GGOAA
in reply to: GGOAA

Sorry for the double post, but is it possible for me to edit my original post?

Anyhow, an idea I just got messing around in Inventor (2013), would it be possible to reverse the process? If I model my bar clamp, and then use that model to make a technical drawing?

Edit: I can now see that I was unable to edit my opening post.

Message 3 of 48
blair

You would need to create a new "drawing document" and then place the views of your model for the addition of dimensions and detailing.

This will help:

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 48
GGOAA
in reply to: blair

Thanks for your reply, blair!

That pdf file is genius in some form. I just had a quick look through it but it covers a lot, and for the first time, I believe those kinds of headlines. But then again, the author is an Inventor genius.

It complicates my plan slightly, but I will be back later with my progress. 

Message 5 of 48
blair

Go to YouTube.com as well and search for "Inventor"

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 48
GGOAA

I've underestimated how complicated this problem was, but I'm getting around it now. I still have two parts I'm struggling slightly with, but I'll get around to that in a moment.

Attached to this post are three files. One overview of the bar clamp in question (143), one of my first problem (144) and lastly, the threaded part (145).

Picture 144 shows how the 'head' is attached to the threaded part - with a sphere. How would you go about to solve this in inventor? There is no way I can take the parts apart and measure it exactly.

Picture 145 shows the threaded part. The measurement in the picture is 7.9mm. How would you go about to find an appropriate thread type? The diameter of the circle is 15mm on the 'outside' and 11.4mm on the 'inside', at its thinnest, kind of.

Lastly, the handle is made of wood. How do you solve that in Inventor?

Thanks for your help so far - I really appreciate it.

Message 7 of 48
GGOAA

Sorry for the double post, but here are my two parts so far - in a very primitive fashion I feel. 

Message 8 of 48
blair

Ball: either Revolve to develop the shape or start with a Primitive shape. Thread: Amce type thread, use the Coil command to either add material to a shaft or cut material from a shaft.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 48
blair

Not sure why you created the "Thread" item using the Sheet-Metal template. This limits the ability to model the part.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 48
blair

Not sure why, but I am unable to send the attachment. you can e-mail be at: blair dot stunder at arcticmfg dot com

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 48
JDMather

What book are you using to find information on ACME thread forms?

My students just finished a similar assignment.

ACME.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 48
GGOAA
in reply to: JDMather

I have no book, Sir. Our course is merely trial and error I'm afraid. It consist of students watching how the teacher models in Inventor, followed by exercises, some of which I have shown you (and by the way, I was one of very few that got a decent grade on that if you do remember the problem you helped me out with - all thanks to you).

It's frustrating, especially since I find it very interesting and would like to learn to be good at it. Hopefully it'll be better the coming semesters.

Message 13 of 48
mpatchus

Pick up any drafting or mechanical drawing textbook and work on creating parts.

Especially look in the "manufacturing processes", "multiview drawings", and "auxiliary  drawings" chapters for some very good parts to practice modeling.

For Inventor specific instruction, look for a book titled "Inventor: Basics of Parametric Modeling" by James LoFasso.

It may be for an older version of Inventor than what you are using, but the workflows and parts a great.

Curtis Waguespack also puts out a great book called "Master Autodesk Inventor".

Both not only provide good learning material, but they become a great source of reference material as your knowledge of the program expands.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 14 of 48
blair
in reply to: mpatchus

When all else fails, search YouTube.com Lots of great videos to watch on Inventor.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 48
blair

I'm on IV2014, you didn't post which version you were on.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 48
GGOAA
in reply to: mpatchus

I appreciate this input, and I will certainly take it into account when I have time to learn more about Inventor.

Right now, though, I'm focusing on getting this assignment done for wednesday.

Thanks for your reply.

Message 17 of 48
GGOAA

Sorry blair, I'm using Inventor professional 2013, student version.

Message 18 of 48
JDMather

What is the measurement in image 145?

Is the Ø15 in your thread file the outside diameter or the root diameter?

Create a tooth profile sketch as shown.

Tooth Profile.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 19 of 48
JDMather

Chamfer both ends 1.5mm.

Chamfer.png

Message 20 of 48
JDMather

Since you didn't supply dimensions - I'm just guessing here - this looks too small but should give you the idea.

Change those 2mm dimensions to 1.5mm.

Coil - cut with a pitch of 3 (twice the thickness of the tooth at pitch circle) a height of 75mm.

Coil.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report