Inventor General

Valued Contributor
albmopar
Message 1 of 10 (318 Views)
Accepted Solution

Ballooning in I assembly

318 Views, 9 Replies
08-28-2013 01:51 PM

I have several iterations of an assembly.  Specifically I have a base of a machine with different tooling for different products.  I generated the BOM by referencing the specific tooling I am trying to detail.  That worked.  But when I balloon, it references the main assemlby.  It won't let me redirect the source file to the tooling asm

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 2 of 10 (315 Views)

Re: Ballooning in I assembly

08-28-2013 01:58 PM in reply to: albmopar

If you want to show the components the tooling assembly in your upper level assembly, what you need to do is in the tooling assembly go to the "Tools" tab

bom.JPG

and make sure tis assembly is set to "Reference"

What this will do is show the components of this assembly in every assembly it is inserted into and not show the sub-assembly number.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Valued Contributor
albmopar
Message 3 of 10 (308 Views)

08-28-2013 02:07 PM in reply to: Cadmanto

I got the refence thing down, but even though the BOM is tied to the sub assembly, the balloons are tied to the main assy.  So the only balloon I get is 19.

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 4 of 10 (254 Views)

09-23-2013 07:17 AM in reply to: albmopar

The parts list should be tierd to the main assembly showing the components of the subassembly allowing you to balloon the subcomponents.  If this is not happening that you need to check the ststus of the subcomponents to make sure they are not tagged "Reference" as well.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Valued Contributor
albmopar
Message 5 of 10 (236 Views)

09-23-2013 08:57 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

I don't get the option to balloon the subassembly when I select balloon.  The subassembly is set to Normal, not phantom.  Am I missing something?

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 6 of 10 (230 Views)

09-23-2013 09:08 AM in reply to: albmopar

If you go to where I instructed you in my original posting, the sub-assembly should be "Reference" and all of its components should be "Normal".

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 7 of 10 (224 Views)

09-23-2013 09:43 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

Its phantom not reference..

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

Valued Contributor
albmopar
Message 8 of 10 (217 Views)

09-23-2013 10:05 AM in reply to: mcgyvr

The subassembly is the one I am trying to balloon.  The sub assembly is changeover fixturing on a peener.  I have the peener set to reference and the fixturing set to Normal.  As shown in the BOM, I can choose the fixturing to fill out the BOM, but only have the option to balloon the whole assemlby, which only shows item 19, the fixturing.

*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 9 of 10 (206 Views)

09-23-2013 10:54 AM in reply to: albmopar

I mistyped before.  Mcgyvr is correct.  The sub-assembly should be phantom and its components should be normal.

If you do this, this sub-assembly should be able to be ballooned in the top level assembly.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Valued Contributor
albmopar
Message 10 of 10 (196 Views)

09-23-2013 11:23 AM in reply to: Cadmanto

AH-HA  Thanks too all.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube