Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ballooning by assembly level

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
graemev
3517 Views, 14 Replies

Ballooning by assembly level

When ballooning an assembly drawing having a structured/all levels BoM, the balloons default to the part level of the BoM hierarchy.  Is there a way to have the balloons reference the part's subassembly (direct parent) without having to override the value of each balloon manually?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
cwhetten
in reply to: graemev

This may or may not work for you, but collapsing the parts list to show only the subassemblies (children would be hidden) will get your balloons to behave the way you describe:

BOM view.png

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 3 of 15
graemev
in reply to: cwhetten

Yes, but I want to show the children in the BoM.

Message 4 of 15
cwhetten

I'm not sure if there is an easy way to do that.  The balloons get their information from the parts list, and they get their item numbers from the lowest expanded level.

We don't usually have a problem with this, as we try to have only one assembly per drawing.  So, in the case of your group of models, we would have one drawing for each of the 4 subassemblies, and these drawings would call out the children.  Then we might have a drawing of a higher-level assembly that calls out these subassemblies, but doesn't show the children.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 5 of 15
graemev
in reply to: cwhetten

@cwhetten wrote:

I'm not sure if there is an easy way to do that. 

Sure there is!  Manual override!  Easy.  Not lacking in tedium, however.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 15
Cadmanto

Depends on your definition of easy!!  Smiley Wink  Yeah, you can manually over write all of them, but you lose your parametric functionality.

I don't know of an easy way either.  My only other suggestion would be to create an iLogic routine that might do what you are looking to do.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 15
-niels-
in reply to: Cadmanto

If i need to balloon an assembly with subs i usually just balloon a part (giving me a balloon with 1.1 for instance) and then right-click that balloon, select "choose balloon from list", pick the assembly (item 1), place that together with the 1.1 and then right-click on the 1.1 again to select "remove balloon".
That way it'll stay "parametric".
It's still a manual process, but it does allow reasonable control over what gets shown.

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 8 of 15
graemev
in reply to: -niels-

Thanks -niels-!  That's more useful than overriding the value.

Message 9 of 15
suomenvaimennin

Apparently they also destroyed this in the 2022 "update". This work around no longer works, although a work around should not be needed at all.

Message 10 of 15

Hi Steve,

I am sorry I am missing something here. Do you mind sharing a thread talking about 2022 model state breaking this particular workflow? Or, please share an example that exhibits the behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 15

I'm trying to get a balloon for the sub-assembly, not every individual part. There doesn't seem to be a way to do that and the work around mentioned here does not appear to work anymore in 2022. Minor compared to the other problems with 2022.

Message 12 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi Steve,

As always, I could be wrong. But, I just try the exact same workflow shown by Niels on Inventor 2022.2 update. It seems to work. Could you share an example that does not work?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 15

Yes, now it works. I've noticed that some functions just don't work and you have to just close everything and start over.

Message 14 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi Steve,

I guess you are talking about Edit-In-Place (editing a component within an assembly). A component with non-Master Model States should be self-contained (defined by the table), more like iPart/iAssembly. As a result, Edit-In-Place isn't applicable here because it can lead to cross-level association which cannot be captured on the table.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 15
AIR_123

Thanks! But...

why so complicated? You have to be able to define annotation level on the fly, without all this extra moves with add/delete balloons...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report