Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balloon as Structured BOM & Parts List as Parts Only

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jdavis417
4146 Views, 6 Replies

Balloon as Structured BOM & Parts List as Parts Only

It may sound stupid, but it's what I need.

I want to dynamically/associatively Balloon the Assemblies (more that one in my drawing) & place a Parts List for summation of some specific individual parts (let's pretend I'm doing a "float layout" page... 'cause I am).

I will accept "NO" as answer... and if that's the case, perhaps someone in the future can search and get a concise solution that dates from the current decade?

I'm sorry if this has been posted/answered before... there are too many discussions in this forum (I'll bet you've heard this before).  Additionally, the Wiki-help idea... not worth it's weight in salt... for instance, type in "level of detail"... I guess I expect a little better than THAT!

**EDITED**

I'm trying a work-around where I copy\paste the Parts Only based Parts List from another drawing.

Is THIS my best option?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi jdavis417,

I didn't quite understand the question, but I think this might be what you're after?:

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/autodesk-inventor-creating-coordinated-bom-for-large-asse...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 7

Curtis,

Thanks for your quick reply.  I own a couple of books you've co-authored...

I promise that I will study the recommended article to see if I can twist that solution to my own, evil purposes.Smiley Happy

I failed to mention that the Balloon I need is a custom one (Part Number label)... it doesn't label the Item # (which is useless in a drawing that never has a part list for the "containing assembly"...this sheet describes the size, placement & quantity of individual parts).

I would like to use my custom Balloon to dynamically/associatively (translate "no human entry") label the "big chunks" that contain specific, individual parts & then provide a dynamic/associative Parts List (or Table?) which only needs to display Part Number & Qty. (of said specific, individual parts) used within the entire, larger, assembly.

There are many things to try, but I'm hoping someone will have decided a "best practice"...

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks again!

**EDITED**

more history...

We produce marinas... big, floating boat-docks & their appurtenances.

This is much LIKE an Architectural application BUT steel angle and tube is our most common material used.

You can try to talk me out of it (several Inventor re-sellers kinda' did) but Frame Generator probably can't be beat for what we require of a sotware package.

The sheet(s) I am required to produce are the "S"-pages in a plan set.

This particular sheet describes the sizes, locations, & total quantities or the floatation units (aka "floats").

Despite the fact that the Part Number (or "Mark") is labeled on other sheets (

**EDITED**

Aw shux, I meant that the Part Number (or "Mark") of all containing sub-assemblies...) ***END EDIT***

, I feel it is valuable to duplicate said Part Number information on this sheet (but perhaps I need to reconsider if this is actually required).

Message 4 of 7

Curtis,

Thank you for the link. I was getting very excited as this would have solved my issues as well.....untill I realized (just before he mentioned it) that this will not work if the parts are used in different assemblies.

I do want to investigate using the part number in the balloon but that would make for large balloons.

thank you

Jim

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 5 of 7
jdavis417
in reply to: jdavis417

Hey, a attachment is worth a thousand (or more if it's me) words!

Message 6 of 7

Hi jdavis417, 

Here's a trick to get the results you're after:

• Create your drawing with the structured parts list and balloon as needed.
  • Then move the parts list above the title block so it won't print.
  • Next create a second temporary drawing and place a parts only parts list on it.
  • Then simply right click the parts list and choose Copy.
  • Next switch back to your original drawing and right-click on the sheet node in the browser and choose Paste.
  • Discard the second temporary drawing.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 7

Thanks again!

I probably edited the OP since you first repied... you've just described my work-around.

If I don't get some earth-shattering response, I'll be of the mind to declare your reply as a "solution".

I really feel that some historical "solutions" need to be re-visited (like this) and direct answers given... there are so many responses... some are many years old... most digress and turn into huge back-and-forths... which don't support why many users come here... applicable solutions. (momentarily steps off soapbox):smileyembarrassed:

You are appreciated!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report