Inventor General

*Expert Elite*
harco
Message 11 of 17 (148 Views)

Re: BOM

10-08-2012 01:47 PM in reply to: jacornej

I don't know why it won't let you demote CC parts but we usually only use custom saved CC parts and don't use CC as such.

From what I've seen of CC parts they are mostly uneditable.

There may be a lock on CC parts which limits what you can do.

It may have something to do with tube and pipe, design accelerator, frame generator, bolted connection, this type of thing, they all tend to lock things down into their own assemblies.

Also patterns don't demote easily, normally have to destroy and rebuild.

Take a copy of the top level to try things out.

Select as much as you can demote to see what you would need to add to the sub in the way of CC parts, hopefully it's just a couple of joints.

Hope this helps some.

Contributor
jacornej
Message 12 of 17 (142 Views)

10-08-2012 02:19 PM in reply to: harco

Well thanks for the help. I think for this one im just going to make a custom tables in the idw's. It was a learning experience, I now know what not to do

Distinguished Contributor
guyh
Message 13 of 17 (133 Views)

10-09-2012 04:25 AM in reply to: jacornej

Not sure how well this would work for you but how about setting all the other parts etc to Reference within the BOM, then when you create your drawings and parts list they should not be included.  You may need to manipulate how the referenced parts are displayed within the drawing to remove them but this should differentiate them from the main pipes.

cheers,

Guy

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Contributor
jacornej
Message 14 of 17 (121 Views)

10-09-2012 09:42 AM in reply to: harco

If I do it that way it changes the BOM of the assembly file, which alters to qty in my other drawings

Contributor
jacornej
Message 15 of 17 (106 Views)

10-10-2012 07:00 AM in reply to: jacornej

I found a pretty simple solution to my problem. I just save another copy of my main assembly, grounded all the parts of a certain pipe run and deleted everything else. Then I brought that in to the main assembly.

Another question I have is if I can combine pipe parts in the BOM, for example in one pipe run I use all 2in pipes. Inventor lists each section of pipe as it own part. Is there a way I can combine those together and get an overall length on the BOM.

Distinguished Contributor
guyh
Message 16 of 17 (105 Views)

10-10-2012 07:04 AM in reply to: jacornej

Not pipes but this blog post (great blog as well it should be said) may give you some ideas.

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.de/2011/03/understanding-autodesk-inventor-frame.html

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Contributor
jacornej
Message 17 of 17 (98 Views)

10-10-2012 08:44 AM in reply to: guyh

I found of way of grouping them in the parts list by substituting the part number column with the stock number, but everytime I found a solution another problem comes up. When I group them together it doesn't give the group an item number.

For example let say I had 3 pipes with item numbers 1, 2, and 3. When I group them it makes a new row and in the item number column it shows like this (1,2,3,) is there a way to give this group and item number

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube