Inventor General

jcoates87
Message 1 of 13 (686 Views)
Accepted Solution

BOM Reference parts & Hidden lines

686 Views, 12 Replies
11-19-2012 07:43 AM

Hello

I am doing a .idw drawing of an assembly that I have several parts that I do not want to appear in the BOM parts list. I have therefore set these parts as Reference parts however this has caused them to appear as "hidden type" lines in the drawing and are even visable through other parts.

Is there any way to make these parts appear in the drawing "as normal" and not be listed in the parts list?

Thanks for any help

*Expert Elite*
-niels-
Message 2 of 13 (684 Views)

Re: BOM Reference parts & Hidden lines

11-19-2012 07:53 AM in reply to: jcoates87

"As normal", no... but, you can set some options for it on the "model state" tab when editing the view.

"Reference data - as parts" and "hidden line calculation - all bodies" will probably get something more desirable as you currently have.

Using IV2014 Pro SP2 - upd.1, Win7-64bit
jcoates87
Message 3 of 13 (676 Views)

11-19-2012 08:00 AM in reply to: jcoates87

Actually thats exactly what I was after. Thanks very much

stephentaylor33
Message 4 of 13 (585 Views)

01-29-2013 11:40 AM in reply to: -niels-

Is there any way to do this for just one reference part but not all of them?

Steve Taylor
Drafter
Stork Food & Dairy Systems
*Expert Elite*
-niels-
Message 5 of 13 (572 Views)

01-29-2013 11:16 PM in reply to: stephentaylor33

The options mentioned only work on all reference parts in the idw environment.

What are you trying to accomplish exactly?

Maybe a different BOM state could help, or a different color style...

stephentaylor33
Message 6 of 13 (556 Views)

01-30-2013 06:12 AM in reply to: -niels-

What I have is an assembly using a couple of pneumatic cylinders along with a large frame that needs to be a referenced part.  The cylinders are a purchased part but I need them to function using limits, appear on the BOM so that our vendors will know the necessary specs for the cylinder, and look like a regular part on the drawing.  My solution is to create an assembly of each cylinder out of two referenced parts (plunger and housing) so that it does not create a BOM, then put the cylinder assembly into the larger assembly as a flexible part. 

This makes the cylinder assembly appear as a reference part on the drawing (thin lines).  I can sometimes fix this by selecting the lines and changing line style.  But this doesn't work when there are hidden lines or for sections.  I would like a way to make the cylinder act like a normal part even though it contains only referenced parts.

Thanks for any help

Steve Taylor
Drafter
*Pro
sbixler
Message 7 of 13 (553 Views)

01-30-2013 06:20 AM in reply to: stephentaylor33

There's a much easier way for you: make the cylinder assembly Purchased.  This hides the component parts from the BOM.  No need to use reference parts for this case.

To make it Purchased (or Inseparable), open the Document Settings, go to the Bill of Materials tab, and change from Normal to Purchased.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

*Expert Elite*
-niels-
Message 8 of 13 (548 Views)

01-30-2013 07:06 AM in reply to: sbixler

I agree with Sam, the purchased state will accomplish what you want.

In my company we use cylinders in a similar way for movement, but we leave them on the "normal" state.

We can do this because we use "all levels" for our BOM and do not expand the cylinders to show their components.

(i realize we could set them to purchased, but we just never did since it doesn't matter that much for us.)

*Pro
sbixler
Message 9 of 13 (542 Views)

01-30-2013 07:27 AM in reply to: -niels-

In our case, we actually place separate parts lists for fabricated parts and purchased parts, and this is how we filter the lists.  Very convenient!

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

stephentaylor33
Message 10 of 13 (527 Views)

01-30-2013 12:24 PM in reply to: sbixler

Thankyou for the input but it didn't work. The problem that we may be having is that we use Autodesk Productstream as our data managment program.  Productstream still shows the parts in the BOM and when I look at the BOM in Inventor it also shows all the parts.  Should the parts still be visible in the BOM in Inventor? Or am I running into an Inventor function that just doesn't work with Productstream

Steve Taylor
Drafter

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube