Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIM Family Toolkit Now Available on Autodesk Labs

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
scott.sheppard
2970 Views, 10 Replies

BIM Family Toolkit Now Available on Autodesk Labs

The BIM Family Toolkit Technology Preview gives you the ability to export Inventor configuration data from iParts and iAssemblies (parameters, file properties, component visibility) directly to Revit families. Once your family data has been imported into Revit, you can create a simplified version and leverage the imported parameters and properties directly in Revit.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/bim_family_toolkit/

We are looking for feedback on this technology. We can use this thread or you can email us at labs.iv.bim@autodesk.com.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
darwin71
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Could you make a BIM Family Toolkit that exports both geometry and parameters? I don't see a point in this app if I need to re-model everything in revit...

Message 3 of 11
scott.sheppard
in reply to: darwin71

Thank you for the candid feedback. This is one of the things the technology preview is intended to determine.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 11
jaredm

I do not see a need for this toolkit if I can't transfer the geometry as well. If you can make something that will transfer all of your information such as geometry and your properties as well.

Plus when I try to import the family table and finish by clicking on import, an error pops up and says "A transaction or sub-transaction was opened but not closed in document 'Family1'. All uncommitted changes to this document made by External Command will be discarded." Please help me to find a solution to this problem.

Message 5 of 11
scott.sheppard
in reply to: jaredm

Thank you for the feedback. I understand your desire for the geometry to come along for the ride.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 11
darwin71

Scott, Why is it that Autodesk owns almost all 3d formats on the planet, and still havent figured

out how to bring them into Revit in some proper way?

Message 7 of 11
elise_moss
in reply to: darwin71

I am kind of with the rest of the crew on this one. 

If I want to create a Revit family, I will do it within Revit.  That way I know everything is going to work properly.

That said, I have brought content from Inventor into Revit, but I treat them as dumb solids...I don't expect the content to act as a family at all.  The only reason this might be used if you wanted Inventor content to appear in a schedule, but you could work around that by bringing an inventor model into a generic model, adding the custom parameters you want to appear in a schedule and done.  As long as you aren't wanting to change sizes or modify geometry, it works.

Huge disconnect between how real users work and how Autodesk envisions people are using their software to get the job done.

elise

Message 8 of 11
scott.sheppard
in reply to: elise_moss

Thank you for this candid feedback. This is why we do technology previews - so we can get customer input early in the process.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 11

I have retired this technology preview from Autodesk Labs. Thanks to everyone who participated.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 11

Can this be released, as I have to export a large number of iparts to Revit and it worked OK when I was testing it before we purchased Revit.

Message 11 of 11

I am glad you found the technology preview experience to be a positive one, but there are no plans to extend the technology preview at this time. The original technology preview had a time-bomb in the code, so that it does not operate after the end of the technology preview. So even if I gave you that installer, it would not work.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report