Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically mark parameters as export

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
drguitarum2005
464 Views, 5 Replies

Automatically mark parameters as export

When I bring in a custom content center part or extrude a part I make, I always like to type it as LENGTH=24, thereby creating a parameter called length (instead of d0 or whatever it wants to call it). I then mark it as "export" manually so it shows up in my "custom parameters" tab on my iProperties. I do stuff with that exported parameter in my drawings. Is there a way to make it automatically export?

Or another approach, if I do LENGTH=24, is there an AUTOMATIC way (iLogic, etc) to make a new custom property, also called "LENGTH" that equals the LENGTH parameter?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JazzJPH13
in reply to: drguitarum2005

I'm bumping this because I need to know this as well!

I'll play about with ilogic, I'm new to it though and don't think I'll get very far.

Dell Precision T1700
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz (4 Cores)
Windows 7 64-Bit
16.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K2200 (12002 MB / 4096 MB)
Message 3 of 6
jtylerbc
in reply to: JazzJPH13

Seems to me that the easiest way to do this would be to make a custom Content Center family, and then edit it to already have the parameters and export settings you want.

This way whenever you place a part from that family, it will already have what you need it to.  No extra work or iLogic required.

Message 4 of 6
JazzJPH13
in reply to: jtylerbc

I found another thread which has a code in that checks parameters as exported and adjusts the custom property format of them at the same time.  This was so I could have it update in the parts list on the drawing.  

Thanks for the advice - I will look into custom content centres because I don't currently like how some of the content is currently modelled (like the UC's or UB's planes not being central, and the extrusion isn't the equal of the parameter, it's between two planes distanced by the parameter, which I think is just adding work to be honest!)  I (and others) much prefer planes to be bang in the middle of symmetrical objects, and even odd objects.

But I digress.

Thanks anyway!!

Dell Precision T1700
Windows 7 64-Bit
16.0 GB RAM
Message 5 of 6
jtylerbc
in reply to: JazzJPH13

I would suggest being careful with how much you change on the Content Center structural families.  Although I'm not crazy about how some of it is modeled either, some of it is actually tied into the way Frame Generator works.  I'm not totally certain of how much you can change the modeling process for these items and still have Frame Generator know what to do with them.

Not saying you can't try it, just be aware you may cause yourself some trouble if you modify it too much.

Message 6 of 6
JazzJPH13
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks for that! You have saved me from being my own worst enemy.  Frame Generator is a feature I'd probably go as far to say "love" - so it's the last thing really that I want to ruin.  Although we rarely get the bespoke projects that warrant frame generator it still wouldn't be worth sacrificing.  

Cheers for that buddy, I could have caused damage unknowingly!!

Dell Precision T1700
Windows 7 64-Bit
16.0 GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums