Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk simulation generating long path and filename

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
amasva
777 Views, 10 Replies

Autodesk simulation generating long path and filename

Wy is Inventor simulation generating such a long path and file name? It is adding "AIP\Stress Analysis\{B521B504-8519-4268-A69C-A30D3CAE85EE}\Simulation_1" to the path where the part is saved and the file name is this long: "V036-502 Holder deksel_msh_{08374ABE-E0E7-4602-84BC-1E0B17BC0E62}" This makes my fully qualified file name more than 260 characters, and the directory name more than 248 characters.

This again is casing problem using Vault. The jobserver will not publish a dwf and gives a error whit the result:"The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters."

Asle Martin Svastuen
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ulitmate 2012 Sp1 / Vault Collaboration 2012 Sp1
HP EliteBook 8560w
Intel(R)Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 2,0GHz 2,0GHz
16GB RAM
Windows 7 X64 SP1
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Daniela_Koloszko
in reply to: amasva

This is a known issue for Inventor versions before 2012. The problem is resolved in version 2012 by flattened file structure and shortened file names. Unfortunately, the problem exists for version 2011. The workaround is  the files to be deleted from the Vault and re-added from a folder with a shorter path. Generally users should avoid long paths in this case.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 3 of 11

This has not been fixed in 2012 Vault. I just had the same error.

Viktor K
Intel i7-3960X
48 GB Ram
Win-7 64bit
Quadro FX 5800
Message 4 of 11

I am also having the same issue in Vault 2012...Is this included in a hotfix or service pack?

Message 5 of 11
henderh

Hello,

As Daniela described, the issue has been addressed for Stress Analysis in R2012.

There is no connection with Vault still having the 260 character limit (which is actually a Windows O/S set limit).

If you have files with the long path name from pre-R2012 Stress Analysis, you can migrate to the new, shorter result files format and Vault shouldn't complain.

Hope this helps...please let us know if you have additional questions or comments.

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 6 of 11
stapprich

Hugh,

When you say "migrate" the files...I assume that opening/check-out with Inv 2012, save and check back in is the migration process.

Is this correct or is there a utility that will reach into Vault such as task scheduler.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 11
adamenko1984

I would suggest you to use the Long Path Tool. It is sure to solve your problem.

Message 8 of 11
adamenko1984

Long Path Tool could be helpful in this situation.
Message 9 of 11

I am using Inventor 2011 stand alone.  The long path and file name for stress analysis causes problems when I back up (I use EASEUS Todo Backup - it is free and works across a network).  What can I do to resolve this problem?

Geoffrey Wheeler
AutoCAD Mechanical 2011 SP2, IV Pro 2011 64bit SP2, stand alone, Design Review 2018, DWG True View 2018, Inventor View // Win7 Ultimate SP1
ASUS P8H61-M LE, Intel i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz, 8GB RAM // ATI AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series, 1GB RAM
Message 10 of 11

"The workaround is  the files to be deleted from the Vault and re-added from a folder with a shorter path."  I am not using vault.  I would like to shorten the path or file name and still have my project find the simulation files.  What should I do?  Delete the files and regenerate them?  How can I continue to use IV2011 and manage auto-generated long path and file names?

Geoffrey Wheeler
AutoCAD Mechanical 2011 SP2, IV Pro 2011 64bit SP2, stand alone, Design Review 2018, DWG True View 2018, Inventor View // Win7 Ultimate SP1
ASUS P8H61-M LE, Intel i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz, 8GB RAM // ATI AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series, 1GB RAM
Message 11 of 11
swalton
in reply to: cvbt-thailand

Inventor Design Accelerators, Frame Generator, Routed Systems, Dynamic Simulation, and FEA all create sub-directories and files starting at the same directory of the parent design file.  You won't be able to make any changes to Inventor, so you will have to modify the way you store files on disk.  

Some Ideas:

• Move the project workspace to the root of "c" drive. 
  • Minimize the number of sub-directories in the path, no more than 3-4 deep to get to the Inventor file.
    "C:\work\client\machine\12345.ipt" not "C:\Workspace\Customer Descriptive Name\Machine Descriptive Name\Brackets\Long Descriptive Name for an Angle Bracket.ipt"
  • Start a Part Number database/spreadsheet in another program to match the part number to a part description.  5 numeric digits will give you 100,000 parts/assemblies.  That should last a few years.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report