Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor Drawing

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Arya2012
1236 Views, 9 Replies

Autodesk Inventor Drawing

Hi all,

I have a question abut Inventor Drawing.

Ok, here is the question:  to reduce number of drawing and paper, I am trying to place multiple parts in one drawing. But there is problem, multiple parts has multiple unique part numbers and the drawing only assign one part number to the very first part which placed first in the drawing. The question is, is there a way that I can place more than one part with different unique part numbers in the drawing and the drawing title block assign different unique part numbers not only one?

Thanks.

Regards.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi Arya2012, 

Typically in mechanical design it is preferred to have one part = one drawing. However, in the world of fabrication design (structural steel, etc.) it's often common to detail multple parts on a single sheet.

If that is your situation, my suggestion would be to use a drawing number in the title block. This drawing number is often based on the job and sheet number. Then use a sketched symbol to report the part number of each part on the drawing.

This works well if you don't intend to place a parts list on the sheet. If you do need a parts list, then things become a bit more difficult.

Can you post an example PDF of a drawing that is configured the way you want it? I'm sure others will have other suggestions based on their direct experince once they see what you're after.

Here's a link that might provide some insight on the subject of coordinated parts lists:

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor/large-assemblies-coordinated-bom/

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Just set the title block information to be  "prompted". Then when you start a drawing a dialog box will come up and you can type in whatever you want to fill out the titleblock data.. It doesn't have to be pulled from the part properties.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 10
Arya2012
in reply to: Arya2012

Hi Curtis,

Here I attached a PDF file showing the issue.

You are right, I'm doing a lot of structural design which detailing multiple parts in a single sheet. So since I'm dealing with larger assemblies which consist of too many parts, I don't want to type all the info manually. I want the drawing to pull info from model.

Message 5 of 10

Hi Arya2012,

Here is my suggestion on how to set this up. Others might have suggestions to consider as well.

Basically you want your title block info to come from the drawing file's iProperties, and you'll set up a sketched symbol to call the model part number from the models' iProperties.

You could use a prompted entry as suggested by mcgyver, but then the information resides in the title block and not in the file, meaning that if you ever need to switch out the title block using the Drawing Resources Transfer Wizard, you would loose the prompted entry information.

Hopefully you can follow these images (I've attached them also, so you can see them at full size).

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Autodesk Inventor Multiple Part Number Drawing Setup.png

Autodesk Inventor Multiple Part Number Drawing Setup1.png

Autodesk Inventor Multiple Part Number Drawing Setup2.png

Message 6 of 10
drlamb
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Just a thought but you could also add it to your view label.

Donald L.

Inventor Product Design Suite 2016
Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit
HP h8-1380t - i7-3820 @ 3.6 GHz
16 Gb
AMD Radeon HD7950 3Gb
Message 7 of 10
Arya2012
in reply to: drlamb

How ????

Message 8 of 10
drlamb
in reply to: Arya2012

In your styles and standards.Add Part Number.jpg

Donald L.

Inventor Product Design Suite 2016
Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit
HP h8-1380t - i7-3820 @ 3.6 GHz
16 Gb
AMD Radeon HD7950 3Gb
Message 9 of 10

Thanks Curtis, works awesome.....:)

Message 10 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: drlamb

Hi drlamb,

Adding the part number property to the view label is a good suggestion, and is of course more automatic than using a sketched symbol. Just, keep in mind that it will add this to the view label of all views that use that particular standard, so it might take some thought to set up templates to pull the PN into the view only when needed. Of course, we could just edit the view label and remove the PN once placed too.

Curtis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report