Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD sketch objects result in very slow Inventor sketch - Inventor 2014

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dick_upton
1776 Views, 6 Replies

AutoCAD sketch objects result in very slow Inventor sketch - Inventor 2014

Every time I must copy a set of objects from an AutoCAD drawing to an Inventor part, I work diligently to reduce the number of objects. This time, DBCOUNT command reveals there are just 857 AutoCAD objects - lines, circles, arcs - being copied to the sketch.

Still, Inventor struggles to handle this very simple sketch

- when rotating

- when moving

- when indentifying closed boundaries for extrude commands.

Are there any strategies anyone has found to make Inventor more ligth on its feet when dealing with sketches brought in from Pasted AutoCAD objects?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: dick_upton

First thing I would do is turn it into an Inventor Sketch Block.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
dick_upton
in reply to: JDMather

THanks JD - that made it quick to move and rotate.

But, it still struggles for about a minute to identify the boundaries. Still, any improvement is greatly welcome!! Thank you.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Well, I would consider that to be a very complex sketch for Inventor (I recommend 7-10 entities max per sketch).

It looks like a lot of repeated sketch geometry (I recommend using feature patterns rather than sketch patterns).

Maybe lock down the sketch block, and then create new sketches and Project Geometry as needed from the sketch block.

(or get rid of repeated geometry, might break up into several sketch blocks and repeat blocks instead)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
dick_upton

I'll grant you that it's got a lot of objects, but - just as you can defer updates in the model environment - it might be helpful to have a "define boundary" manual mode (ala MDT) instead, so Inventor wouldn't have to chug through all the objects and suggest all closed loops. I'm sure there are complications with this workflow and they've probably already looked at this. Thanks for the thoughts on this JD.

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

I think your best bet is to Project Geometry as needed to new sketches using the imported only as a master sketch.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
dick_upton

Thanks! Another great suggestion.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report