Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authoring Tube and Pipe conduit

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
howardlee306
2211 Views, 12 Replies

Authoring Tube and Pipe conduit

We just rescently got all Inventor users here the premium suite with the Tube and Pipe routed systems. After much playing around and forum reading I am able to run the default styles for conduits and add fittings etc with no problem. This has really come a long way from the first time we tired it years ago. However we use custom part numbers for the pipe and fittings. The fittings where no problem as I copied a style that was close, renamed it and linked them to our fittings (which where just modified stock parts). So no problems there with part numbers appearing. The pipe itself is giving me some grief. I tried copying a stock pipe family in the content center editor and changing the properties for the partnumber column to match ours and it shows up in the list when editing the style, but once a run is populated the part number in the iProperties is blank so my BOM is also not populating correctly. So I started reading about Tube and Pipe Authoring and it seems like I have to do that which makes sense. I created a new pipe gave it threaded ends, material, etc and hit the Tube and Pipe Authoring button but in this wiki here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/3029-Tube_and3029/3159-Tube_an...

It says that conduits need to be set to type tube, pipe or hose, which is what I want, but I do not have those listed...

I have all od the different types of fittings, elbow, crosses, etc listed but no pipe. Does anyone here have any experience with Authoring Pipe conduits? Or is there another method I have not found yet? Let me know if we need more information. Attached is the part I'm tryng to Author (just a saved CC part) in case I have something messed up.

p.s. when using the default styles the stock part numbers DO appear for pipe, just not my custom ones.

Thanks In Advance Everyone,

Windows 7 64 bit

Inventor 2013 Product design Suite Premium

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

I too ran into this problem.  I called tech support and they said this is by design because each pipe has a different length and that is what inventor uses for it part number and file name.  As of yet, I have had no way to get my part numbers to show up for pipe.  We put them in by hand.

Message 3 of 13

I'm getting a little farther. I've learned you need to publish the ipart before you authorise it. Then you have to publish it to the content center. I got no errors during that process, but when I create a Tube and Pipe Style, I cannot save it. Feels like I'm 98% there...

Message 4 of 13
cwhetten
in reply to: howardlee306

I can't open your part since I'm on 2012, but I'll try to help.

Is your part an iPart?  According to the help, ordinary parts cannot be authored as pipe, tube, or hose (only as fittings).  So, you have to create an iPart table in your pipe file for different diameters, and maybe different schedules/wall thicknesses.

I have authored rigid PVC pipe before, but it was a while ago and I don't remember if there were any special tricks to get it to work.  I have attached a pipe that I have successfully authored and published (and used many times).  Take a look at it to see if it offers any insight.

Edit -- I just read your latest post.  You don't have to publish it before you author it.  But you have to author it before you publish it.  Also, I recall having the issue where I couldn't save a pipe style.  For me, it came down to a problem with the way I specified the nominal diameter in my CC parts.  In the author dialog, you have to format your ND parameter/property just right in order for it to work.  Check out the pdf i posted for more info on this.

Message 5 of 13
howardlee306
in reply to: cwhetten

@ cwhetten

Yours went through with no problem. If I compare the 2 and figure out whats different this should Happen.

This is really helping guys thanks. I'll post the results when I get this to work so if others are having trouble this might help.

Message 6 of 13
howardlee306

Just and update. The custom pipes are working model wise when I run the populate the run. But the part number is still blank on the pipe. Elbows and fittings are fine. When I place the pipe from the content center it does have the correct part number. So somehow in the pulling from the content center to the routed system the part number gets lost.

Message 7 of 13
cbenner

I believe that's hard coded into the Routed Systems code.  Autodesk has assumed that some folks may have a different  part number for every length of pipe, and since that means an infinite number... they simply don't allow the part number to come through on routed pipes.

I disagree with this way of doing it, it should be left up to the user... but this is how I believe it is set up.

Someone from AD is welcome to proove me wrong... in fact I'd like that very much so I can get my part numbers to come out in CC.  Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 13
howardlee306
in reply to: cbenner

Yeah I just noticed that even when using stock styles with stock parts, there is no Part Number in the conduits.

Why would I want to rename up to 400 pieces of pipe by hand so that a BOM will add the lengths correctly? Why not have an option to populate a Part Number or not?

I agree, someone from Autodesk Please prove us wrong.

Message 9 of 13
cbenner

The only good news for me is that in BOM editing, I can group by description, and cut and paste multiple segments part numbers at one time.  Still more work than I would like to do.... but it speeds it up a bit.

Hold the phone... I just had a thought.... be back later with results... if it works!  Smiley Wink

EDIT:

Still can't populate the part number while routing, but this may speed up BOM editing:  In the CC, add a column for any iproperty field you don't currently use for anything (ie: Cost Center).  Add your part numbers to that field and they WILL populate to the new spools as they are created.  Now, you have two options from here:

1.  Set your parts list "Part Number" column to actually point to Cost Center (or whatever field you used).  Manually edit the Column Header back to Part Number... no one will ever know.  Smiley Wink

2. In your BOM, group the parts that do not have part numbers, and enter in the first empty one this equation:

=<cost center>  (or whatever field you used)

Then copy and paste to all the spools missing part numbers.

Still more work, but it gets us closer.

Message 10 of 13
howardlee306

Well I'm down to the last couple issues I think on this topic. All of my threaded pipe is working like a charm. Now I just started to do the socket welded parts and came across a slight issue. The pipe only comes in in the default length (12" in this case). Even if there is 50 feet between elbows it spits out a 12" peice and leaves the rest empty. Or if the distance is less than 1" it just shoves it through the fitting. I compared it to my threaded pipe and all the properties match except one - For threaded connections there is a threaded option in both the fittings and pipe. But for Socket weld, there is no Socket weld end treatment in the pipe only the fittings. Is that causing the pipe not calculate the correct distance? If so, what do I need to do to get socket weld to appear in the pipe's end treatment?

Capture.JPG

Message 11 of 13
brimal

Just wanted to give this thread a bump as I am experiencing the same problem of not getting the part number for my custom pipe that I set up in Content Center to show up in my routed pipe (and subsequent BOM).  I am running Inventor 2013.

I like the work around that ChrisB came up with in this thread.

BrianM

Message 13 of 13
lesmfunk

I just discovered how to get it to do what you want for description and part number but not filename.

After you create your route, right click on the hose/tube and "change size". Just don't change the size and click "OK".

You will have your partnumber and description populate with length exactly the way you want.

The filename is another issue.

WARNING!! DO NOT CHANGE LENGTH WHEN YOU CLICK CHANGE SIZE!! YOU WILL NOT GET THE ORIGINAL LENGTH BACK WITHOUT RE-ROUTING THE HOSE/TUBE!!

(I am copying this post to all relevant threads)

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General-Discussion/Length-in-Routed-Systems/m-p/5190373#M5172...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums