Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Associativity

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jeremyj
911 Views, 8 Replies

Associativity

I have an assembly that I inserted another sub assembly into.  When I turn off the visibility on that sub assembly I get a warning that says "The component status is associatively set by the Design View Representation Default in component C:\-....... and the only option it gives me is to "Remove associativity".  Then when I turn the visibility back on, it turns the visibility on of some random work planes and scetches.  There is nothing I can do to change this, and it's really a messy assembly with all those thing visible.  Can anyone help me understand what this mean?  I have attached some screen shots of the three steps to this problem.  Thanks for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
harco
in reply to: jeremyj

Create a design view rep in the lower assembly with the work planes off.

Set the representation of that assembly in the higher assembly to the work planes off view.

Also create a design view rep in the higher assembly to hold this view.

When you turn the assembly off & on again you have to set it to the work planes off representation.

RMB on the assembly find Representation..... and select from dropdown.

Message 3 of 9
jeremyj
in reply to: harco

I really don't understand this at all.  I've been messing with it for hours and nothing seems to change. I get the design view representation set to master or last active or anything else and it doesn't change it in the upper assembly.  This is the first I've ever dealt with design view representations.

Message 4 of 9
jeremyj

The design review rep stuff is the worst pile of crap I've ever seen.  They took something that should be simple and made it so complicated that it's not even usable.  Every time I turn the new view on, and go back to it, it's off.  There is no way to keep it on.  Every time I open or activate each sub assembly I have to reactivate the correct dvr and god forbid I have to turn the visibility off and back on again, then I have to go back through it all.

Message 5 of 9
jeanchile

I think I am in the same boat with you on this one. See my thread here. I keep thinking that there must be something that I am missing. I think it should be simple but it's not. I just want to hide something for a second for crying out loud and I have to start creating all this junk. There has to be an easier way, right.

Inventor Professional
Message 6 of 9
jeremyj
in reply to: jeanchile

I can't even get it to work.  I do all this and then nothing.  It's a waste of time.  I've been working on it for six hours now and am no further ahead.

Message 7 of 9
mcgyvr

When you want to turn parts off create a new design view rep. Then when you are done go back to the master or whatever.

If you have turned assiciativity off you can turn it back on on a sub by sub basis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 9
harco

see attached images for steps to use DVR.

1. create DVR

2. create top level DVR

3. set sub DVR to match top DVR(1)

4. set sub DVR to match top DVR(2)

5. make visible  - using Representations

Hopefully this will help.

Message 9 of 9
jeremyj
in reply to: harco

Thank you harco that works well.  Sorry it took so long to get back to you, it's been crazy busy at work.  One other thing about this DVR.  I am constanly turning on and off the visibility of this sub-assembly.  Is there a way to change it so the default is this new DVR?  Because when I turn the visiblity of this sub off and then back on, it reverts back to Master in the representation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report