Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly - part created in place - how to make changes in base part propagate?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
david
284 Views, 2 Replies

Assembly - part created in place - how to make changes in base part propagate?

I´m trying to create two parts where the location of holes in the first part controls the location of holes in the second part, and the holes of the second part follow the holes in the first part when those holes are moved.

This is what I did:

1. created Test Part 1 - extruded - added threade holes

2. created assembly

3. Placed Test Part 1 into Assembly

4. Within Assembly Created new part (Test Part 2), with its sketch plane on (the recessed) surface of Test Part 1 in the assembly

5. Extruded (the sketch in test part 2)

6. Added holes to part 2, using projected gerometry originating from Test Part 1

7. Returned to assembly - all looks fine

8. Opened Test Part 1

9. Moved holes of Test Part 1

10. In assembly, the holes on Test Part 1 has moved, but the holes of Test Part 2 has not followed

I´m attaching two part files and an assembly file.

I´m certain I´m overlooking something simple, but I´m stuck... any advice would be much appreciated.

BR,

David

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
raldor
in reply to: david

Hi David,

I think the way you tried to do it should work fine.  I think you may have just projected too many times, and possibly snapped your holes in part 2 to the wrong geometry.  It seemed like you had an extra sketch on Test Part 2, and that the first sketch for the thickness had too many things projected onto it.

I don't know exactly where the issue happened, but I redid Test Part 2, and it seems to work fine.  My method wasn't any different than yours as far as I can tell, so I think it was just some simple mistake somewhere.

Message 3 of 3
david
in reply to: raldor

Thanks!

I just need to watch how I use projection of geometry, it seems.

BR,

David

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report