Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Rectangular Pattern

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Mark.Downes
1734 Views, 14 Replies

Assembly Rectangular Pattern

Hi, can anyone help with a work around for rectangular patterns in assemblies?

I want to pattern a screw using an existing Part Feature Pattern; I have figured out depending on how the part is assembled you get two outcomes and if the part is mated opposite side to how the feature was patterned you get the parts going the wrong way (see attached pic).

Is there a “flip direction” option anywhere or do you just have to be super diligent on how the seed feature orientation is in relation to the assembled pattern?

Thanks

Mark

Cheers
Mark
Inventor 2018, 3DS Max 2018, Vault 2018
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
tehcr
in reply to: Mark.Downes

correct me if im wrong. but would it not be better to use place all the screws and then use constraints - insert?

regarding your question the only way to reverse the pattern would be to use either rectangular or circular.

Message 3 of 15
Mark.Downes
in reply to: tehcr

Hi Tehcr,

Yes thats one way to do it, but I was asking about rectangular patterning. If you use feature paterns they are associated and thus "more intelegent" - ahem!

I dont fancy droping 20 or 30 parts into the assembly and using "insert" when i can place one part and use an existing feature array to pattern. Just my way of wanting to work I guess.

thanks

Mark

Cheers
Mark
Message 4 of 15
SBix26

It works just as you want it to, but you have to insert the screw into the "origin" feature of the part pattern.  In the image you posted, constrain your first screw into the opposite corner hole of the part, and the screw pattern will be as you want.  In other words, the first element of your component pattern needs to correspond with the first element of the part pattern, to get the result you're looking for.

Message 5 of 15
Mark.Downes
in reply to: SBix26

Hi Sbixler,

Worked like a charm, many thanks Smiley Very Happy

Simple solution, sometimes you cant see the wood for the trees - Doh!

thanks

Mark

Cheers
Mark
Message 6 of 15
jletcher

Whenever I make a pattern I take the hole and change the color so when I go to the assembly I know what hole was the starter hole for the pattern..Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 15
csaba.stupak

Exactly, the Feature Pattern option of the Pattern Component dialog only specifies the relative position of the patterned instances. So even if you do not place the screw at any hole of the part holes they will be patterned. When you invoke the Pattern Component command and try to select the Feature Pattern note that it is not possible to select the "first" part hole. So you do not need to color/mark specially the "first" hole when you insert the first screw, just invoke the Pattern Component command determine which hole is the first, cancel it, constraint the screw at first hole and invoke again the Pattern Component command to finish the patterning.

Regards,

Csaba

Message 8 of 15
Mark.Downes
in reply to: csaba.stupak

Hi Csaba,

I have just tried you solution in a new assembly,

1. drag parts close,

2. pattern first to see orientation,

3. cancel op,

4. mate part in the appropriate hole needed

5. pattern,

Thanks for the information as it works suprisingly quick this way Smiley Very Happy

Mark

Cheers
Mark
Message 9 of 15
jletcher

csaba Wrote:

So you do not need to color/mark specially the "first" hole the first screw, just invoke the Pattern Component command determine which hole is the first, cancel it,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So doing it your way takes more steps? why would you want to make more steps? Is this Autodesk new thing the more click the better the software runs? Also no one said color the screw....

The reason for the color hole also is so you don't have to cancel anything and if you did not make the part the next person knows the first hole.

Message 10 of 15
csaba.stupak
in reply to: jletcher

I just suggested a workflow where I tried to avoid the part hole coloring. In some cases you do not need to insert any screw into the patterned hole. In both cases we have extra steps either we color the hole or do the canceled Component Pattern command. Of course if you know in advance that the hole will be used in the assembly then the coloring approach is a great idea.

Thanks,

Csaba

Message 11 of 15
mrattray

@csaba.stupak wrote:

Of course if you know in advance that the hole will be used in the assembly ...

Just wondering, what scenario would that be where your putting a hole into a part that you don't know wether it will be used in the assembly?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 12 of 15
csaba.stupak
in reply to: mrattray

You are right in most cases the hole is used by a screw. 🙂

Let me suggest another idea. If you know in advance that the patterned hole will be used by a screw, I suggest to attach/mark the 1st hole with iMate (Insert type). In most cases the screw has iMate at the "correct" location or you can edit the screw part and add a similar iMate (Insert type) to the screw. In the assembly you can create a constraint/iMate result which will put together the hole with the screw. In this case we have more steps and this workflow is good when you have more pieces of the part with patterned hole.

Thanks,

Csaba

Message 13 of 15
mrattray

That would definately work well for a part that is reused frequently!

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 14 of 15
pbrooke

In the pattern dialog box. If you hit the rectangular botton you can select the alignment in both directions.

IV2012 Product Design Suite
Windows XP Professional 32 Bit
Message 15 of 15
jletcher
in reply to: pbrooke

What.

I think you may be lost...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report