Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly BOM

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
gaila
526 Views, 9 Replies

Assembly BOM

Is there a way to set up the BOM in the assembly file to show the top assembly as a line item with all it's children (and their children) listed underneath?

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
BLHDrafting
in reply to: gaila

If I'm understanding your question correctly, this is exactly what the Structured BOM is. Each level can be expanded to see the children.

BOM.png

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 3 of 10
CCarreiras

Hi!

If you mean, have this BOM configuration in the Part List, you can edit the BOM properties and activate "All Levels"

1.png

Then, in the drawing, when you are creating the part list  select  "Struture" mode and  also "All Levels" ,edit the part list to expand the subasseblys. You will have the main assembly elements an respective childs.

2.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
gaila
in reply to: BLHDrafting

I was able to do what is shown in your picture. My issue is I can't get the top most assembly to also show in the BOM.

I have an assembly file and it contains two sub assemblies. Each of those sub assemblies contains two children. What shows up in the BOM are the two sub assemblies and their respective children. I'd like to show the top assembly, the two sub assemblies and their children.

Please let me know if I'm not explaining my issue clearly so that I may include some screenshots.

Message 5 of 10
CCarreiras

Hi!

I think we can't do it...Smiley Frustrated

You can always do it manually Adding a custom part in the part list and rename this part as the same name as the assembly...

If if find a way, post Here. Best of luck.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
mcgyvr

@gaila wrote:

I was able to do what is shown in your picture. My issue is I can't get the top most assembly to also show in the BOM.

I have an assembly file and it contains two sub assemblies. Each of those sub assemblies contains two children. What shows up in the BOM are the two sub assemblies and their respective children. I'd like to show the top assembly, the two sub assemblies and their children.

Please let me know if I'm not explaining my issue clearly so that I may include some screenshots.

You are explaining it clearly but what you want is NOT what a parts list or BOM is by definition. The top level should NEVER be a line item in a parts list/bom...

You could always just throw the top level assembly into another assembly though..

But you really should explain WHY you want that in the first place.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 10
gaila

I'm trying to get it that way so I can export it to Excel then send it off to be uploaded into a new Oracle-based database that our company is putting together. My IT counterpart wants it in that format. I was trying to take out as much manual input as possible.

Message 8 of 10
mcgyvr

@gaila wrote:

I'm trying to get it that way so I can export it to Excel then send it off to be uploaded into a new Oracle-based database that our company is putting together. My IT counterpart wants it in that format. I was trying to take out as much manual input as possible.

He "could/should" use the file name of the excel document as the top level part number.. 

Or like I said you could drop each top level into another assembly but to me thats silly. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 9 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: mcgyvr

There are also other ways to transfer BOM data from INV to a database.. Other companies do it using Inventors built in API/VB..

If you are creating this functionality from scratch I don't see any reason to require exporting excel at all..

Message 10 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: mcgyvr

Some other methods..

ilogic.. The top level information can easily be grabbed with that..

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-Customization/Recurssive-BOM/m-p/3507166#M38941

or possibly

Inventor Apprentice/.net

exporting to csv files might be better too..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report