Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assemblies and drawings not updating

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
abneroviedo
601 Views, 6 Replies

Assemblies and drawings not updating

Hello,

For the sake of simplicity, we try to standardize parts we use so that we use the same part in multiple assemblies. The problem that we are having is that once we revise a part, we are forced to go into every assembly that it is used on, open it, update it and then save it. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of how to universally update all the assembly models and drawings after a part is changed. Seems like it should be a simple thing to do, as I have to imagine that using parts in multiple assemblies is a common occurence.

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: abneroviedo

task scheduler..  located in the "tools" folder inside your inventor folder in the start menu of windows

But I might ask "why" you think you need to update everything immediately?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
abneroviedo
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thank you for the quick response.

We don't need to update immediately, but as of now it does not update at all. Also, some departments in our company use Inventor View to access drawings and unless we open, update and save the assemlby files, the viewer will only show the old configuration.

I accessed the task scheduler, but I'm not sure what I should be doing. Any words of wisdom?

Message 4 of 7

Hi abneroviedo,

In my world, changing the part would require a revision roll and therefore an ECO (engineering change order), the assembly and drawing updates are then part of the change orders. My point is that because the assembly and drawing are approved and controlled, we expect that the changes will not be automatic, and that we will need to open the revise the drawings in a controlled way.

With all of that in mind, as mcgyvr mentioned, you can use the Task Scheduler to update assemblies and drawings, in a bit of a less controlled way. See link for the steps to do this:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-F86CF022-CFC2-4094-9DAD-6789C5F5D3BB

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-7FD8EA9B-EFCE-4C2C-89E8-247E410D90DF

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 7

Hello,

We also use ECO's to manage the revising of drawings. The exception, in our case at least, is when the only update is pictorial. Say we add a hole to a part. We revise the part drawing through an ECO. We do not roll a rev on the next assembly as the change is only pictorial and really does not change the fit, form or function of the next assembly, or the assemnbly after that. We would like the drawing to be up to date, but not necessarily have to roll a rev on several drawings when it is just a pictorial change. Thanks again for the help.

Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: abneroviedo

@abneroviedo wrote:

I accessed the task scheduler, but I'm not sure what I should be doing. Any words of wisdom?

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-68ACA919-88E7-4943-B132-FAE2525601EF

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 7 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: mcgyvr

an "update where used" function would be really handy..

But I've had a few times where a "seemingly simple" update can just "trash" a whole drawing or break constraints/design intent all over the place,etc..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report