Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assemblies Overconstraining

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
david.reed.tosoh
605 Views, 4 Replies

Assemblies Overconstraining

I have been having a problem recently when making new assemblies.  If I decide to suppress some components, move around others, and constrain a part to a different part all of the sudden the assembly seems to lock up.  Components with only 1 constraint (a flush, or concentric) will not be able to move in its other degrees of freedom that i know are available.  When I click on the component and try to drag it an x comes up and the part wont move.  Then I go to other parts of the assembly which were previously working and I havent touched and try to move it (a 4 bar linkage, cylinder slide) and those will no longer move either.  In order to fix it I must delete all the constraints and reaply them.  Only after taking every constrain off of a component is it free to move again.  Does anyone have an idea why this may be happening?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: david.reed.tosoh

Can you attach an assembly here that exhibits this behavior?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
david.reed.tosoh
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for your response.  I found I had a bolt which had flown way out of the frame and still have constraints linked to it which was causing the rest of the assembly to over constrain.  After searching through the browser for a while I found the bolt and deleted it which freed up the assembly.  I kept wondering why is was zooming so far out every time I adjusted views.... thank you anyway.

Message 4 of 5
tsreagan

Yep,  One bad constraint freezes the whole assembly.

Test the dynamics of the assembly after adding new constraints,  or after adding a small group of them,  makes troubleshooting easy.

T.S.

Message 5 of 5
blair

The first thing I look for is my model "freezes" is a bad constraint or I have additional parts selected in the browser. If you are on IV2014, there is a new "sick contraint" tool on the toolbar which show bad constraints in the main model screen.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report