Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any textures that also act as a light source?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
gsger5
1156 Views, 7 Replies

Are there any textures that also act as a light source?

Just looking for some good effects to put on an art piece. Some sections are very dark and I'd like to add some accent to them. I know that solidworks was some textures that emit light, I was curious if there was anything like that in Inventor.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mrattray
in reply to: gsger5

Have you tried playing with the environment lights?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 8
gsger5
in reply to: mrattray

I've tried using those, but they just aren't having the desired effects.

Message 4 of 8
SBix26

Appearances can emit light.  Have you tried creating an appearance that uses the Self-Illumination settings?

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 5 of 8
blair
in reply to: SBix26

You should be able to put and direct lights in Studio to cover almost every option.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 8
sam_m
in reply to: blair

Imagine an electroluminecent cord - this could be formed into any shape like some string and would provide a local glow to its surroundings along its path.  How could you do this with environmental lights?  Not to mention trying to animate this cord moving...

Inventor has a setting for emissive colour - this should be a setting to turn it into a light source, you know, to emit light...  It doesn't actually do this though, and just causes that part to be a bit brighter and doesn't transmit to any surroundings.  The default Inventor (2012 and earlier - not on 2013 and its new colours yet) colours compound the issue by using an emissive value with highly reflective parts - last time I checked, no matter how much I polished a mirror it didn't start giving off light...

To, to answer the OP, nope - despite suggesting it should be possible with emissive settings, it doesn't.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 7 of 8
Rory_M

It's possible in 2013.

Set a self illumination colour as shown in my image and ramp the luminance up quite high.

si.png

Make sure that when you render you use the one of the "Global Lighting" lighting styles.

lighting.png

You should end up with something like the image below.

4 - Self Illumination Render.jpg

Message 8 of 8
sam_m
in reply to: Rory_M

that's cool - good to see the emissive (guess it's now called luminence) can actual emit light 😄

so, without knowing the OP's Inventor version it's either yes (for 2013) or no (2012 and earlier)...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report