Inventor General

Employee
johnsonshiue
Message 11 of 15 (115 Views)

Re: 'Apply Smooth' on sheet metal parts?

10-01-2012 03:19 PM in reply to: robbieg

Hi! Here is another solution without having to remodel too much. Basically, you just need to create Thicken features to replace the lump having the non-perpendicular detail faces due to the cuts.

After that, you can right-click on the Flat Pattern node in the browser -> Save Copy As -> select DXF -> OK. You might need to adjust the spline conversion tolerance in the DXF OUT process to get the desirable result.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Principal SQA Engineer, Inventor
Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 12 of 15 (108 Views)

10-01-2012 03:56 PM in reply to: johnsonshiue

After looking at Johnson's solution - I realize I missed one feature in my "solution", but you should be able to figure out and adjust.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
robbieg
Message 13 of 15 (82 Views)

10-08-2012 08:31 AM in reply to: JDMather

I have now got the part to where you left off regarding the cuts etc. (attached) Can you advise how i go about outputting the splines as chords?

Inventor 2013 SP1
Employee
johnsonshiue
Message 14 of 15 (65 Views)

10-08-2012 03:41 PM in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi! Attached is a DXF file output from Inventor Flat Pattern. I used 1mm Linear tolerance (instead of default 0.01mm). Could you take a look and see if it works? If the result is what you are looking for, you can simply do the following to get the same result.

1) Open the Inventor part in Inventor.

2) Activate Flat Pattern to see the Flat Pattern.

3) Right-click on Flat Pattern icon -> Save Copy As -> select DXF or DWG -> Geometry -> change the tolerance from 0.01mm to 1mm ->OK.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Principal SQA Engineer, Inventor
Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

robbieg
Message 15 of 15 (52 Views)

10-09-2012 02:23 AM in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thankyou that is much closer to what I am looking for, I will have a play around but it looks like I have my solution, cheers

Inventor 2013 SP1

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube