Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application options keeps resetting

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
kprom
2206 Views, 9 Replies

Application options keeps resetting

We have a user who's application options reset every time he restarts his computer.  File locations, settings, ect seem to get messed up and he has to reimport his settings.  Inventor was properly shut down after setting everything up.  I think we ran into this on another computer, but this one keeps doing it.

thanks,

Inventor 2011 Dell precision 390 Xeon, Nvidia Quadro 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Slambog
in reply to: kprom

I have a user here as well with this same issue, we both have the same permissions as Power User but every time he try's to change even the Application Colors they go back to defualt. Is this a Windows issue or a Bad Software install?

Inventor 2011 Pro
Lenovo
XP64 Bit
12GB Ram
Nivida Quadro FX 3800
Nividia Drivers 259.81
Message 3 of 10
kprom
in reply to: Slambog

Now on a couple of differernt computer we have the same thing.  Sometimes only a few options get reset.  Often the project file is changed.

Anyone else seeing this?

Message 4 of 10
Slambog

Double check these I think the SP1 might efffect these settings. Another thing to do is verify that the user has Power User rights, and then Try to Apply the settings and export them.

Inventor 2011 Pro
Lenovo
XP64 Bit
12GB Ram
Nivida Quadro FX 3800
Nividia Drivers 259.81
Message 5 of 10
blair

The updates are written to the Windows Registry upon a proper shut-down of Inventor. 1st check in the Task-Manger that only 1 instance running.

Try chaning the User to an Administrator at the local machine, can still be Power-User at the network security level.

Might be a problem with the User Account on the machine which would require deleting and recreating.

Possible virus or anti-virus software may be stopping Writes to the Registry.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 10
phil-mcam

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue to deal with. This is the best post I've found so far. But this is one of those frustrating times when you wish one of these users would have clicked back here to mark a solution. Someone has to have found a culprit for this. One thing is interesting, it's not all releases. I'm finding posts from IV11 (2006) and this year.

• Only one machine in the office does this.
  • Full Admin rights all machines
  • Only happens occasionally

I'll check for any spare Inventor processes, and verify antivirus status. It's not satisfactory to be constantly re-importing the custom application options.

What about this solution: Save the custom options as "Inventor_Default_Options.xml" so when it re-sets, it sets to the desired options.

Thanks for your time,

Phil

Message 7 of 10
phil-mcam
in reply to: phil-mcam

I found out it's possible that network licenses will time out after inactivity and cause Inventor not to register properly upon re-boot. It is a good practice to shut down network licensed Inventor during inactivity periods, such as overnight.

Message 8 of 10
jeff_jordan
in reply to: phil-mcam

This happened to me today after I uncradled my computer and took it with me into a conference room.  Upon starting up Inventor/Vault I realized I wasn't plugged into the network.  Of course, Vault and Inventor came up with errors...Inventor having a license error.  I closed both programs.  Plugged the network cable in, and restarted the applications.  This is when the user settings were lost.

Thankfully I had exported them, since this isn't the first time.  It's rather annoying.

Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2015 (Inventor 2015 Pro SP1, Vault 2015 Pro Update 1)
MacbookPro OSx 10.9, Boot Camp
Windows 7, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz
16GB
SSDs
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5
Message 9 of 10
graeme.robinson

We had this issue at SP0 if the first time Invetnor was run was NOT by admin.

But it seem to be fixed in SP1

Now, whever a user cannot obtain a licesnce from the server the aplication options are reset when they do obtain a license.

We have informed all users to get round this to save the application options so they can import them when it occurs.

They still arnt happy, and to be fair they are right, it shouldnt happen

Cheers

Graeme

Message 10 of 10
shawn.payne

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report