Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Options - File path reversion

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
ebuckner
1099 Views, 17 Replies

Application Options - File path reversion

May be a windows issue but we have two users experiencing these symptoms.

After setting the Application Options-File tab paths to our company standard and manually restarting IV the paths all revert to "%PUBLICDOCUMENTS%\ default paths. Our IT guy is having the hardest time tracking down the root cause, can y'all offer any advice?

Both users are on stand alone licenses.

1. Where does IV pick up these default file paths? Can I modify that .xml manually as a workaround?

2. Can anyone identify the folders to look for that don't have adequate red-write permissions?

I will start a support case as well but a lot of the time you guys are quicker to respond.

Thanks,

Eric

IV2012 - VaultPro 2012 Admin

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
SBix26
in reply to: ebuckner

These file paths are written to the user's registry, so there may be a permissions issue.  However, file paths defined in the project file take precedence over the defaults, so you might check the project files that they're using, too.

Message 3 of 18
ebuckner

We all use a vaulted version of the same project, I don't think that's the problem or more of us would have the same symptoms.

Do you know the specific keys that are modified in the registry?

Message 4 of 18
SBix26

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion16.0\System\Preferences\File

Hope that helps.

Message 5 of 18
ebuckner

the solution was found thru Ketiv support.

the seat must be run as windows admin user prior to any "regular" user running it. this appears to set the read write access properly.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

What was the solution? I am having the same issue. I have saved over every application options file that there is... It seems as though the application options file does nothing. 

Thanks in Advance

Message 7 of 18
ebuckner

It's in the post right above yours.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

So does that means we have to uninstall 14 seats of inventor pro and reinstall?? or just blow away the profiles?

I guess which way did you resolve this?

Message 9 of 18
ebuckner
in reply to: Anonymous

Blow away the profiles then run each seat as admin then allow user level operator to use. It's something about software permisssions within windows that causes the registry not to accept changes when a user level operator uses it first. As far as I can tell, it must be run as admin prior to any user lavel use. ADESK or Ketiv may have a better root cause anaysis than me however.

Good luck, Eric

P.S. Spoke with my IT guru and this was the order of events...

1. Backup and delete local user profile

2. Re-create local user profile and set as local admin

3. Run all seats of ADESK software as local admin

4. Demote user profile to normal "user"

Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

Still no go even after performing these steps.

Message 11 of 18
SBix26

To clarify: after going through the steps above in ebuckner's post, you still cannot retain Application Options? 

All these are saved in the user's registry (when Inventor closes, I believe).  If they're not saving, it is definitely a registry permission issue.  What level of access do your user accounts have?

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

The user is a member of the local administrators group.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

just added explict permissions to make sure the user has full control over all keys... still no avail.

Okay so I just changed the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion16.0\System\Preferences\ColorSchemes

Manually and that worked. I am able to edit it however inventor is still not making the changes on its own..

Message 14 of 18
ebuckner

Try blowing away all profiles and performing those steps.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

Figured out a work aroudn

1. From any Inventor Workstation
  2. Log in as Domain
  3. Make modifications to the Application Options
  4. Export the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion16.0\System\Preferences
  5. copy the reg file to the desktop
  6. Right Click Merge (Yes to all)
  7. Open Inventor
  8. Change the application options (Specifically the files tab)
  9. Make sure none of the locations point to C:\User\Administrator\...
    1. If they do change it to %UserProfile%\...
  10. Users will no be able to make changes to the application options.
Message 16 of 18
SBix26

Glad you found something that works.  But there's still something fundamentally wrong.  You shouldn't have to go through all of this.  In our office, we install with network accounts as members of the admin group, log off, user (XP Power User level) logs in and is good to go.  No issues like this.  Perhaps I'll have a different tale when we eventually switch to Win7...

Message 17 of 18
ebuckner
in reply to: SBix26

I think the same steps should work for you in Win7 except that there is no gray area between user and admin.

Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

Here is a little background on our environment hopefully this helps someone else down the road.

We are a 2.5 man IT Department.

We have a GOD account Domain Admin, Setup Admin, and our accounts are all Network Admin accounts.

We upgrade all of our PC's (HP xw8600) to inventor 2012 and Vault Pro 3 weeks ago. We install with the setup admin account. We always install Kapersky last (our test env. did not have the AV so we ruled that out quickly). The user account is always added first as local administrator. None of the accounts would keep the Application option settings except Domain Admin.

Under no circumstance can we promote a user to domain admin even for testing...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report