Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angles measured as % grade, not degrees

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
swalton
3014 Views, 4 Replies

Angles measured as % grade, not degrees

I am working on a project involving a wedge.  It is common to describe the slope of this wedge as a % (rise/run) rather than in degrees. A four degree slope is something like a 5.7" rise in 100" of run.

Is there a way to change an IDW dimension style to measure the angle in % grade?  

I have been drawing a "helper" triangle on my idw showing a 100" horizontal run and the matching rise, but that is not as nice as a dimension that says 20% grade or whatever.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: swalton

You could just "Hide" the angle and put in your own % value. I'm not a big fan of overriding values in Inventor. I've never tried creating a Parameter in the IPT and then using that Parameter in the IDW. Don't even know if it would work.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
rdyson
in reply to: blair

See if this will work for you.
Create a user parameter in the ipt "Slope" maybe. Units as UL and formula as 100*sin(d??) where d?? is the angle. (you may need to export the parameter)
Dim the angle, Hide Dimension Value and using the test editor button insert your Slope parameter followed by %.

PDSU 2016
Message 4 of 5
swalton
in reply to: blair

I just created a user parameter in the wedge ipt, formatted it, and marked it for export.  I can use a leader and display the custom iprop.  See attached png.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 5
blair
in reply to: swalton

Good to hear,

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report