Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angle Constraint / Drive Constraint Issues

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
d3lilley
1524 Views, 6 Replies

Angle Constraint / Drive Constraint Issues

Hi everyone,

I am designing a vertical axis wind turbine just for some practice (just started using Inventor) and everything was going smoothly until I tried to "animate" it spinning.  First, I set up a work plane that goes through the center of the structure, and then I clicked angle constraint "explicit reference vector." After watching several youtube videos, I figured that I should click on the work plane, click on another reference point, and then click another point that would be orthogonal to those two (right?). Well after I choose the first point, Inventor will only allow me to choose the center axis  as the second option (which I think should be the third option).

Regardless, no matter what I do it won't work. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I attached the file if anyone would like to give it a go.

Cheers

Drew

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: d3lilley

First of all an assembly file without part files is useless.

You should not need to create the workplane - use one of the origin planes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
d3lilley
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry about that! 

It will only allow me to upload three attachments, and the assembly contains 5 different part files. I will post 3 in this post and 2 in the next. Please let me know if there is a better way to do this!

Message 4 of 7
d3lilley

Message 5 of 7
JanVarholik

Inventor complains about the missing files:

VAWT structure.iam

Shaft1.ipt

SKFEE 3ANSI.ipt

locking collar.ipt

when I try to open the attached assembly. Could you create a zip file of all missing components (and upload it), so I could take a look at it?

Message 6 of 7
d3lilley
in reply to: JanVarholik

I did a "pack and go" (love that name)  and then compressed all those files into a zipped folder. Hopefully this will work!

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
JanVarholik

One of the ways to animate your turbine is creating two workplanes. One by selecting Shaft:1\Origin\XY Plane. This workplane will be attached/constrained to your Shaft:1. Create another one constrained to VAWT structure:1. Since both workplanes will share the same shaft axis, you can easily constrain them by angular constraint. Then you drive the constraint as needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report