Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Altering a BASE Part? Modeling failure in ASM?

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
bhowe
2092 Views, 25 Replies

Altering a BASE Part? Modeling failure in ASM?

HI All,

I brought in a STP file from a supplier. It opened it in Inventor (IV pro 2010), everything looks good. The file tree shows a number of BASE parts. The file has some unwanted geometry (removeable parts). I want to delete them. I was thinking I could Extrude (CUT) them away, but I keep getting errors. For instance "Extrusion could not be buit, Modeling failure in ASM, redefine input". Any ideas on how I could make this new IPT so I can delete some details of it?

Thanks

Bill

Thank You

Bill

Inventor 2011 Pro 64 bit
Windows XP Pro 64 bit
Dell Precision PWS390
Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @2.66GHz
7.93 GHz Ram
ATI FireGL V7200
25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
fdesigns
in reply to: JDMather

I have now added a quality check upon import and I get a message "could not import object". The part view that you have with all the seperated base parts never gets shown for me either. I can extrude on the side of the part with the circular feature, but i can't extrude on the side with the retangular feature in the lower section.

Message 22 of 26
WHolzwarth
in reply to: fdesigns

Hmm.

I opened the part with 2009 SR SP2 Build:550, copied the base to CE, unstitched, and did a quality check without any errors.

And I could do both adding or substracting extrusion on the face shown at the picture.

File added.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 23 of 26
fdesigns
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Hmmm

Try an extrution of 16.88mm in the same location. Thats where I get the error message.

Message 24 of 26
WHolzwarth

Meanwhile I noticed it. I've tried some other ways, but I'm struggling with 2009, too. A newer version surely will do that better.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 25 of 26
JDMather

Can you zip and attach the original file here - I would like to use this one as a Repair lesson in my class today.

Meantime - I see that document I linked earlier is no longer avialable - try this http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

Also - I should point out that that list of issues Inventor returned was on the part as a single part rather than as multi-body solids that it really is.  When I unstitched Quality Check did not return any issues.  Of course it doesn't run quality check on stuff that isn't (but should be) there - the missing surfaces.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 26 of 26
WHolzwarth
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Inventor 2010 has introduced multibody parts; it's easier then.

But if you want a cutting extrusion, just extend the short sides of the sketch over the part's contour. After that it's extruding in 2009, too.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report