Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align view options in IDW

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
GCIIEvan
771 Views, 4 Replies

Align view options in IDW

I am detailing a drawing with typical hole dimensions on a piece of steel angle. The drawing is setup such that the fabricator will have two options for each end of the steel angle. I have created two parts with the two options per end and have placed them outside of the page for reference.

I would like to reference each end of each piece, so that there are four pairs of views on the page (the two legs of the angle at each of the four ends), aligned in a grid. I have determined the best way to do this is with detail views. (Using breaks causes the break sign to appear huge, given the large gap I want between views. Using cropped views does not make it obvious that each end is a cutaway.)

My issue now is aligning the eight views. I know of the align options (horizontal, vertical, and in position), but they align to the "origin" of each detail, which is the center. With the angles being the same size, this works fine horizontally, but vertically, the pieces will never line up exactly, which is crucial to at least lining up the two legs of a single angle. The best I seem to be able to do is get the detail sizes as close to exact as possible so the centers come close to lining up. Even creating a projected view from a detail treats the cutaway end as part of the geometry, making it look a bit ridiculous.

Can anyone advise of a way to precisely line up the views? I have done extensive searching and am confident that there is no inherent way to align based on a point or edge (seems like a deficiency on Autodesk's part), but is there a way to move the origin of a detail or something like that?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: GCIIEvan

Can you post some images detailing what you are describing?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 5
GCIIEvan
in reply to: Cadmanto

I hope this helps; it is about as detailed as I wanted to get.

I have the two parts shown on top (base and projected of each), with the details on the actual drawing below them.

Since posting, I've added the views in the middle, so I now have six pairs of details I want to show. Hopefully this will make it clearer why I want to align the views properly. Each pair of details would certainly do well to be perfectly aligned with one another (as if one was projected from the other), and aligning pairs across the page will help when I begin to dimension from detail-to-detail.

As shown now, horizontal alignments are set on a few, but they're eye-balled vertically. Since each detail is slightly different in size, the centers don't line up with one another.

Thanks again.

Inventor Views.jpg

Message 4 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: GCIIEvan

I almost looks like you could create projected views then break them accordingly.

Then they would stay aligned.  Does that make sense?  Would it work?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 5
GCIIEvan
in reply to: Cadmanto

I tried, but I found that the break sign becomes huge because the gap between the two ends is so big. For some reason, the "Min" size in the break utility is still bigger than the part's end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report