Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align model to origin

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
synapse709
9200 Views, 13 Replies

Align model to origin

Ok, I have read about 20 forums about how to align a model to the origin, and NONE of them seem to be correct. I am using Inventor 2013. I tried the move body command, however there is no part of the dialog box that lets me choose a face or plane to align to.

What do you guys do when you import a model that is not aligned to the origin?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
synapse709
in reply to: synapse709

And, please tell me how to do this within the part file instead of the assembly. As I understand it, the assembly does not update the part file, but the part file can update the assembly. If that is the case, although I align the model to the assembly origin, the part file will be the same when I export it. This will mean when I open it in another program it will still have the old (wrong) origin alignment.

Message 3 of 14
blair

The easiest is to just set the view cube (upper RH corner of main screen) to be what you want. Rotate your model and RMB on the cube and set your Front and Home views there. It will also be used in the IDW enviroment as well for your Front, Side and Top views along with ISO

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 14
synapse709
in reply to: blair

Thanks Blair,

Yes, I have been doing this while modeling as I can't find a way to realign the origin. But, what I would really like to do is move the model to fit the origin, or realign the origin to the model. If I just change the views, as you suggest, it works for modeling but when I am rendering, using FEA, or assembling components it becomes cumbersome. 

I have read all the forums on this topic and no one seems to know how to simply align an imported model with the origin. Any more ideas?

Message 5 of 14
blair

Depending on how you modeled the part, you are stuck with the location and model orientation.

A little of planning before one starts a model can prove beneficial down the road. We try to model at the Origin. This allows use to use the Origin Planes for future modeling and constraints.

If it's a IAM, just unground the base part and contrain to the origins as required. Single parts you are stuck with as they are modeled on the XZY.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 14
PaulMunford

This post by Curtis Waguespack on changing the origin of imported components:
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/change-origin-of-imported-model.html?m=1

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 7 of 14
synapse709

Thanks, however I have already checked that tutorial as well and although it will put the model back at the 0,0,0 point, it will NOT rotate the model to the correct angles as the menu he has in the screenshots no longer seems to exist, or at least not in the Inventor 2013 im using.

Thanks anyway.

Message 8 of 14
JDMather

@synapse709 wrote:
... it will NOT rotatethe model to the correct angles as the menu he has in the screenshots no longer seems to exist, or at least not in the Inventor 2013 im using.

Thanks anyway.

Post your file here.
You can move and/or rotate
The rotate is a drop down - bit of a trick for beginners to find.

It is there, (are you using LT?  I have no experience with LT, but I suspect it is there as well).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 14
synapse709
in reply to: JDMather

The model is too large to attach, however I have added a screenshot. Exactly where is this difficult to find rotate button you are speaking of?

Message 10 of 14

Hi synapse709,

See this image for the rotation option:

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 11 of 14
synapse709

Thanks for the help Curtis and screenshot, but strangly I don't have that drop down box. You are using Inventor 2013 Pro? Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 14
JDMather

@synapse709 wrote:

.... I don't have that drop down box.

As I noted in my original response - this one is difficult for beginners to find as it is hidden.

You must click on the icon for a translation move for the drop down to appear.

Notice the left image no drop-down.  The right image the hidden functionality appears.

Move and Rotate.png

Also, you can dramatically reduce the file size for posting here by,

1. drag the red End of Part marker to the top of the browser hiding all features in the graphics window.

Save the file with the EOP in this rolled up state.

2. right click on the filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

attach the resulting *.zip file here

if it is still larger than 1.5M

then attach here http://www.augi.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 13 of 14
synapse709
in reply to: JDMather

OMG!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, I chose inventor over Solidworks because the interface is so intuitive and attractive at the same time. THIS however, is the first case where they seem to have made a completely unintuitive interface choice. 

I greatly appreciate your help!

TT

Message 14 of 14
JDMather

@synapse709 wrote:
THIS however, is the first case

TT

Post back when you need to do a curve driven pattern.  There are lots of other hidden goodies in Inventor.  One recommendation - right click everything and look around.

There are plenty of other examples - in both programs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report