Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane propeller complete beginner

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3316 Views, 6 Replies

Airplane propeller complete beginner

Hi all,

I'm new on the forums here. I'm trying to model a propeller. I'm a beginner in inventor, but started trying (and looking on this forum for stuff). 

So what I have: Obviously a circle extruded in the middle. A little bit before the radius I have airfoil points which I connected and extruded. I know have like a wing mounted on a circular disk. 

But of course, as with any propeller, I also want to add twist. I have been thinking: if I devide the blade of the propeller in different planes, each with a different angle and place on those planes airfoils with different dimensions and connect them by extrusion, would this work? 

I don't really know how to start with modeling this. I have found a propeller on this forum but I can't really follow or understand the workflow in it.

I am able to connect the airfoil to the disk, but I really wonder how I get the twist in it and a round ending instead of the traditional squared tips.

Any input, links or text to read will be appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

... I have found a propeller on this forum but I can't really follow or understand the workflow in it.

What is the url of the thread you are referencing?
Attach your ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/modeling-aircraft-propeller/td-p/2812914

This one. The ipt i currently have is almost nothing. I tried out a few things. I only extruded the cirlcle and the airfoil on it. 

Then i thought of making the airfoil in different dimensions and extruding them for a few mm, each airfoil sketched on a plane with an other angle opposed to the plane before.

I guess I first need to work some more with inventor, but like in the example, I don't understand how and why sketch 1 is done to later make the different planes.

Thanks for looking at this one. 

Message 4 of 7
VdVeek

The example you found is a good source to learn how to make your own propellor. But for an Inventor beginner i think it's too much. First start with the basics, and read something about Lofts. That is the command you will be using for this type of productes. Don't start too difficult.

Rob.

Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional & Autodesk Inventor 2012 Certified Professional.
Message 5 of 7
JDMather

Delete everything except for Workplane1 and Sketch2.

Edit Sketch2 and then right click on the spline and select

Display Curvature as shown.

Display Curvature.png

Now right click and select Set Up Curvature Display.

Setup Curvature Display.png

Set the curvature comb as shown

Curvature Settings.png

What is your impression of this curve?

What is the source of your points for this airfoil curve?

Many people think that the more points you have the better the curve is defined - but actually you want to define it with as few points as possible to get the smoothest curve.

You will want to place this new airfoil curve on the YZ workplane rather than making a new workplane.

Attach your file here when you have completed this sketch.

BTW - the example you referenced is far more complex technique than needed to create the geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Hm what I get is lots of lines at the front and back where the curvature is most I would think. But I don't really see for what it's useful? The lines are going over each other, so i would think i could make the same spline with less points? The points I got from the website underneath: I think the lines display the curvature, as there are no lines on the underside of the airfoil.

http://www.ae.illinois.edu/m-selig/ads/coord_database.html

And are just a simple clark y profile which I copied to excel and multiplied *10 for the right distance. 

It's just trying to make a basic one before going into other profiles and angles.

The reason i made the plane is because i wanted the airfoil in the middle of the 'cylinder'. Which doesn't seem possible with the original plane...

Thanks for the input everyone, i appreciate it. I also looked into the loft feature and I think it would be wise to try some basic tings first.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I'm still working on this project but I'm really stuck. What I've tried is to place different wing airfoils coordinates (surfaces) on planes at a certain distance and try to connect them with loft. Like in this youtube movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G34SS0avmW4

I'm still trying to improve my skills by following tutorials, but I do hope to get to know how to sketch a decent propeller in inventor!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report