Inventor General

srw2zn
Message 1 of 13 (390 Views)
Accepted Solution

Additional Planes (Novice Question)

390 Views, 12 Replies
08-30-2012 10:47 AM

I'm new to Inventor (started using it today) and I am trying to model a model rocket with three fins. Obviously I made a work plane on the YZ plane to sketch the first fin and extrude it. However, from above, the fins should be rotated 120 degrees from each other so they are evenly spaced around the fuselage. Essentially, I need a way to create two additional vertical planes that are rotated about the Y axis.

Thank you for any ideas.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

*Pro
jletcher
Message 2 of 13 (383 Views)

Re: Additional Planes (Novice Question)

08-30-2012 11:04 AM in reply to: srw2zn

I don't want to sound rude my friend but that new of a question may never be answered you need to do the tutorials and then if you don't understand you can come here and ask. But if you are asking something that simple to learn you will be in here asking to many newbie questions and get frustrated that no one will answer you...

Look into circular Patterns and do the tutorials we are not teachers but helpers....

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

James Letcher
2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)
What happen to my Inventor :-(
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 13 (376 Views)

08-30-2012 11:08 AM in reply to: srw2zn

Attach your ipt file here and someone will teach you how to do a Circular Feature Pattern.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 4 of 13 (367 Views)

08-30-2012 11:14 AM in reply to: JDMather

looks like you guys pi$$ed him off.. :smileysurprised:

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Down with IDW/DWG files..... Long live 3D PMI... Hurry it up already..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

srw2zn
Message 5 of 13 (307 Views)

08-30-2012 09:29 PM in reply to: mcgyvr

No, I just would rather not leave myself open to more ridicule.

Alumni
brian.kling
Message 6 of 13 (276 Views)

08-31-2012 03:00 AM in reply to: srw2zn

It is true that this community is not specifically focused on training but more on troubleshooting, but to be fair this is not explicitly mentioned anywhere.  You pointed out you were a beginner so you set expectations appropriately.  I encourage you to re-edit your original post with your question.

I don't personally know Inventor functionality, but based on the comments, you might want to review this video on the Autodesk Wikihelp site:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/3364-Show_Me_3364/3365-Show_Me_3365/3566-Sheet_M...

If that does not help, JD Mather has kindly offered to help you!

Brian Kling
Community Strategist
Customer Service & Support
Autodesk, Inc.
*Pro
jletcher
Message 7 of 13 (259 Views)

08-31-2012 04:16 AM in reply to: brian.kling

If you read my 1st post I did tell him how to.. told him to look into  circular patterns and go though the tutorials..

I just was not going to do it for him like JD he will not learn how to if you do it for him if he is this new.. He needs to watch the video this way he understand how to.

James Letcher
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 8 of 13 (239 Views)

08-31-2012 04:55 AM in reply to: jletcher

jletcher, 

I think the tone of your reply may have been a bit off-putting... though I agree your heart was in the right place.  A better approach may have been to welcome the newcomer, show him this one technique as a "freebie"... then gently suggest the tutorial videos and such.  It's that whole flies with honey vs. vinegar thingie.

Just my opinion, I know you've helped your share of folks on these forums.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

*Pro
jletcher
Message 9 of 13 (235 Views)

08-31-2012 05:21 AM in reply to: cbenner

Well that is why I put  "I don't want to sound rude my friend"

James Letcher
*Expert Elite*
Cadmanto
Message 10 of 13 (222 Views)

08-31-2012 05:41 AM in reply to: jletcher

I get the general gist of what has been said in this thread.  I agree that this forum is meant for trouble shooting or for the random non-obvious question.  I also understand that words can be misconstrude into meanings that were never intended.  I personally like to use the ( :smileyhappy:) symbols so that feelings are misread.

With that said I hope that the originator of this thread is not so turned off that he never returns.  One thing I have learned about forums is there are very different level of users and non of them should be turned away.  This forum like others is a valuable resource for gaining knowledge.  So please come back and know that we are ultimately out to help you.  :smileywink:

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
Inventor Professional 2013
(Colossians 3:23-25)

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube