Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Planes (Novice Question)

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
srw2zn
898 Views, 12 Replies

Additional Planes (Novice Question)

I'm new to Inventor (started using it today) and I am trying to model a model rocket with three fins. Obviously I made a work plane on the YZ plane to sketch the first fin and extrude it. However, from above, the fins should be rotated 120 degrees from each other so they are evenly spaced around the fuselage. Essentially, I need a way to create two additional vertical planes that are rotated about the Y axis.

Thank you for any ideas.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jletcher
in reply to: srw2zn

I don't want to sound rude my friend but that new of a question may never be answered you need to do the tutorials and then if you don't understand you can come here and ask. But if you are asking something that simple to learn you will be in here asking to many newbie questions and get frustrated that no one will answer you...

Look into circular Patterns and do the tutorials we are not teachers but helpers....

Message 3 of 13
JDMather

Attach your ipt file here and someone will teach you how to do a Circular Feature Pattern.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

looks like you guys pi$$ed him off.. Smiley Surprised

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 13
srw2zn
in reply to: mcgyvr

No, I just would rather not leave myself open to more ridicule.

Message 6 of 13
brian.kling

It is true that this community is not specifically focused on training but more on troubleshooting, but to be fair this is not explicitly mentioned anywhere.  You pointed out you were a beginner so you set expectations appropriately.  I encourage you to re-edit your original post with your question.

I don't personally know Inventor functionality, but based on the comments, you might want to review this video on the Autodesk Wikihelp site:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/3364-Show_Me_3364/3365-Show_Me_3365/3566-Sheet_M...

If that does not help, JD Mather has kindly offered to help you!

Brian Kling
Sr International Customer Experience Lead
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 13
jletcher
in reply to: brian.kling

If you read my 1st post I did tell him how to.. told him to look into  circular patterns and go though the tutorials..

I just was not going to do it for him like JD he will not learn how to if you do it for him if he is this new.. He needs to watch the video this way he understand how to.

Message 8 of 13
cbenner
in reply to: jletcher

jletcher, 

I think the tone of your reply may have been a bit off-putting... though I agree your heart was in the right place.  A better approach may have been to welcome the newcomer, show him this one technique as a "freebie"... then gently suggest the tutorial videos and such.  It's that whole flies with honey vs. vinegar thingie.

Just my opinion, I know you've helped your share of folks on these forums.

Message 9 of 13
jletcher
in reply to: cbenner

Well that is why I put  "I don't want to sound rude my friend"

Message 10 of 13
Cadmanto
in reply to: jletcher

I get the general gist of what has been said in this thread.  I agree that this forum is meant for trouble shooting or for the random non-obvious question.  I also understand that words can be misconstrude into meanings that were never intended.  I personally like to use the ( Smiley Happy) symbols so that feelings are misread.

With that said I hope that the originator of this thread is not so turned off that he never returns.  One thing I have learned about forums is there are very different level of users and non of them should be turned away.  This forum like others is a valuable resource for gaining knowledge.  So please come back and know that we are ultimately out to help you.  Smiley Wink

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 11 of 13
jletcher
in reply to: Cadmanto

I have to say if he is upset with what I said then I feel sorry for him when his boss gets on his case.. Smiley Happy

Plus I did not tell him not to post or come back. All I said he would get better help if he did the tutorials 1st

many times I tried to help newbie's just to get caught in a never ending explaining every icon every command so to make it easier he needs to do the Tutorials.

Now if he stated I read the tutorials but I still don't understand how this works then I would have gave him a sample and explained...

Smiley HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Happy

Message 13 of 13
brian.kling
in reply to: JDMather

BTW I reached out to Sam and he was able to find the proper tutorial, he's all set.

Thanks guys for offering to help and considering more supportive ways to approach those who may be asking for basic training when they should also turn to tutorials.

Brian Kling
Sr International Customer Experience Lead
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report