Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding work plane to a non-linear surface

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anthony
2179 Views, 8 Replies

Adding work plane to a non-linear surface

Is there a method to add a work plane to a curved surface ? I need a construction plane adding to a curved surface to allow a sketch to to added to this plane, not sure if this is possible but the problem I have is adding a series of sketches to a curved surface to then extrude-cut for window openings. Thanks

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz
12.0GB RAM, ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
japike
in reply to: Anthony

You can add a workplane tangent to a surface. Is that what you are looking for? Can you post a part? What version of Inventor?

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 3 of 9
JDMather

Or add construction sketch line or other locating geometry.  There are at least half a dozen ways depending on your design intent.

As suggested - attach your file (or at least a picture) here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
Anthony
in reply to: japike

Hello, unfortunately posting model data is restricted however I can post a screen dump. What I am looking for is a little more complicated that adding a work plane tangent to a surface. I have a dome structure with a curved outside wall to which I need to add window openings - I was looking for a way adding these. I finally figured out a way to do it (it may not be the best method though). See below :

- Offset work plane from axis

- Emboss sketch to curved surface with engrave from face and wrap to face selected to wall thinness

- Create circular pattern of embossed surface 

This seems to work OK for me but if there is a better method I would be glad to learn it.

Message 5 of 9
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a dome structure with a curved outside wall to which I need to add window openings

I other words - to the cylindrical face, correct?  (not the hemispherical face, in either case it is easy)

In fact, from what I can see - no workplane (other than the origin planes which should be used) is needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
Anthony
in reply to: JDMather

Yes my apologies for not wording it correctly, is the method I describe OK or are there any quicker / easier ways to reach the same result ? Thanks

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

Are the sides of the window openings parallel or would they form a pie shape to the center of the cylinder if extended the thickness to the center?

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

... unfortunately posting model data is restricted however I can post a screen dump. ... 

What version of Inventor?

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
Anthony
in reply to: JDMather

I am using IV 2013 SP1 BETA 64-bit.

Could you possibly illustrate on the screen shot what you describe in your previous post with regard to the window edges ? I do not think these would form the pie shape you describe if the thickness is extended through to the central cylinder.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report