Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding material library accessible in simulate mechanical

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2162 Views, 5 Replies

Adding material library accessible in simulate mechanical

Hi

I'm wondering how I can add materials to the Inventor material library. I have created and defined the material in Autodesk Simulate Mechanical and they are available in the material libraries in that program, but unnaccessible in Inventor. It doubles my work load if i need to define the materials in both programs and also creats hassles if a change needs to be made to a single material.

The materials are currently saved in .mlb library files. Iventor requests a .asklib file for when trying to add a library.

thanks,
Shannon

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
henderh
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Shannon,

As you've found the material libraries are currently kept seperate between the two products.

Here is one way create a new Material in Inventor and add it to a library:

1)  Open the Material Browser via the Material command in the Tools tab in the ribbon

2)  Find a similar material in the library => press the 'Adds material  to document' button

Step1-2.png

3)  Once it's in the document, Right click on it => Duplicate

Step3.png

4)  Right click => Rename

Step4.png

5)  Press the Edit material button

step5.png

6)  Switch to the Physical tab in the Material Editor dialog that pops up => enter the properties => OK

step6.png

7)  Right click on the material => Add to => Inventor Material Library => choose Category

step7.png

Hope this helps!

Please let us know if you have any additional questions, comments or suggestions.

Thanks, -hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: henderh

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

I think having materials accessible in both Inventor and Simulate Mechanical would be a clear improvement as AutoDesk moves forward. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

As a follow up, could you specify how I change the units of the material library to metric?

My document units are metric, but I have imperial units in the material editor.

Message 5 of 6
henderh
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Shannon,

There is a way to set the units in the lower left corner of the material browser.

Thank you for your suggestion of making the material libraries more shared.  If not known already, you can "push" an Inventor model to Autodesk Simulation Mechanical and the material properties will translate over.

Best regards, -Hugh

NG_Shannon_set_display_units_material_browser.png

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hi Hugh

Thanks again for the help. I realize that the material properties are pushed forward in this manner, however I'm having to run simulations using different material choices on a single model, so I need to change the material in Simulate Mechanical. At the same time, I run simulations on sections of the model (symmetry) to save time. I need to have the full model in Inventor to access the mass moments of inertia availalbe through iProperties. It may be possible to work out the moments of inertia based on the center of mass calculations in Simulate Mechanical, but it's proven more reliable to pull them from inventor.

Last question, I followed th procedure outlined for creating a new material and it seemed to work. However, when I closed and re-openned my project the material held it's new defined appearance, but all the physical properties returned to the values from the material I initially duplicated. Any thoughts?

Shannon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report