Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding draft to a curved surface

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
PaulHalverson
1031 Views, 4 Replies

Adding draft to a curved surface

I'm trying to draft the highlighted surface in the picture below, puliing along the Z axis (blue arrow). The draft analyis shows that there is 0 desgrees of draft along the center of the highlighted surface (the red section). The draft command doesn't seem to handle curved surfaces too well so I'm sort of at a loss on how to accomplish this, ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi! Drafting spline face could be tricky. If I were you, I would suppress (or delete) the curvy faces and then do the draft. After that, add the curvy faces back.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
wilkhui
in reply to: PaulHalverson

Hi Paul,

Are you allowed to move the parting line so that it splits the red section? If so, you might be able to add some material without having to rebuild the curvy face to make the part manufacturable, similar to what I've done on the right-hand-side of this simplified piece:

sample_extension.PNG

Feel free to contact me directly, inderjeet [dot] wilkhu [at] autodesk [dot] com

Cheers,

Indy

Inderjeet Singh Wilkhu
Product Owner - ASM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 5

Paul,

I am a bit confused by the design intent. I am sorry if I misunderstood it. But, there is some inconsistency that I don't understand. The face of interest here is from Loft1, which is affected by FaceDraft2. But, the pulle direction used in FaceDraft2 is different from the one used in Draft Analysis 11. Why is that? Why do you need two perpendicular pull direcitons? Are you creating more than two mold pieces?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. The pull direction changed part way through the design and FaceDraft2 is a remanent of that.
I started over at the loft, got rid of FaceDraft2, and tinkered with the sketches used in the loft until I arrived at a parting line I liked so it's all good to go now.
Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report