Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Color to Content Center Parts

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ThomasSwanson
830 Views, 3 Replies

Adding Color to Content Center Parts

I am trying to add color to my content center parts.  For example I want all M10 hex head bolts to be red and all M12 hex heads to be blue. 

I have My library configured in content center and I take from the "Inventor ANSI" catalog the "Heavy Hex Bolt -Metric" and right click and copy to my library. I switch the sort back to merged view and right click  on the "Heavy Hex Bolt - Metric" and select family table. I scroll to the end of the table and insert a new column and set the "Column Name" To "Color" and set the "Column Caption" to "Color" , "Map to Inventor Property:" is set to "Member.Color"

column properties.jpg

Now going back to the family table I have to enter simple color names like, Red, Green, or Black, I cannot enter names like Water Bubbles, Particle Board, or any of the Inventor Apperance names. If you do you will recive an error on placing the part stating " Unable to create componet"

Futhermore when you click on the Material Column you get a drop down of all the different materials.

material drop down.jpg

Why do I not get a similiar drop down for the colors/apperances?

What is the list of working colors names? 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: ThomasSwanson
Message 3 of 4
mpatchus

I haven't tried this so I'm not 100% positive that it would work, and it would depend on how many different colors you desire.  Too many variation would be prohibitive.

That being said, why not create a material style for each color that you wish to utilize.  Something along the lines of STEEL_BLUE, STEEL_RED, STEEL_GREEN, etc.   Since the material can be access via a pull down in the CC Editor, you could then control the appearance of selected items by applying the appropriate material style.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 4 of 4
lesmfunk

@ThomasSwanson wrote:

Now going back to the family table I have to enter simple color names like, Red, Green, or Black, I cannot enter names like Water Bubbles, Particle Board, or any of the Inventor Apperance names. If you do you will recive an error on placing the part stating " Unable to create componet"

This statement appears to be incorrect. I can enter Water Bubbles or Particle Board and it does update to the new appearance (IV2014). Don't forget to refresh the file.

I know it is an old post, but it steered me in the wrong direction, so I don't want that to happen to anyone else.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report