Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Assemblies to content center; difference be

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
spawn510
1153 Views, 7 Replies

Adding Assemblies to content center; difference be

Good morning,

I'm starting to create a library of components, and I have a mix of part files and assembly files.

Is it possible to add assemblies to the content center? I cannot "publish" any assemblies, only their respective components.

It's just that for some components, it's easier to create them as an assembly instead of a single component, and I'd like to have pre-assembled components that I can quickly add to my assemblies instead of putting them in one by one every time.

If it's not possible, does anyone have any suggestions that could help?

Thanks a lot!
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pauldoubet
in reply to: spawn510

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to publish but one option would be to create a derived part from the assy and publish the derived part. But I am guessing at this point if you can accomplish what you need using that approach. If you can post more info and possibly a screen capture someone may be able to give you a better answer.

Paul
Message 3 of 8
spawn510

Thank you for the idea. While I would rather not have to do that every time, it is a last resort option.

The easiest way to see my problem is with an example.

Assume I want to install a bolt and washer on a component, I would first install the washer, then place the bolt on top of it. This requires two different operations (both from Content Center).

In order to save time, I want to create an assembly with a washer and a bolt, place that in the Content Center, and instead of putting two components in an assembly, only have one to place.

However, Content Center doesn't allow me to put assemblies into the Content Center.

Sorry, pictures in this case wouldn't be much use.

Thanks for any ideas!
Message 4 of 8
pauldoubet

> {quote:title=spawn510 wrote:}{quote}
> Assume I want to install a bolt and washer on a component, I would first install the washer, then place the bolt on top of it. This requires two different operations (both from Content Center).
>
> In order to save time, I want to create an assembly with a washer and a bolt, place that in the Content Center, and instead of putting two components in an assembly, only have one to place.
>

Inventor handles the bolt and washer requirement with the Bolted Connection option of the Design Accelerator. And you can use custom CC parts with the Bolted Connection generator.

Was that just an example or is that what you are trying to accomplish?

Paul
Message 5 of 8
spawn510

It was just an example; my real application is much larger, but the idea is the same.

I have a lot of smaller manufacturer components that I want to pre-assemble before putting them in my assembly. And I re-use the same configurations many, many times. Therefore, being able to take them from the Content Library would be great.
Message 6 of 8
pauldoubet

I use a Library location for some files that are purchased and some assy components. In other words they don't change very often, if ever. One example that I created was several different hydraulic motors. They are not CC files yet they are in a location that is read only and I am reusing the same ipt file for all projects that use the same hydraulic motor. I modeled these as a single ipt file even though I could have done them as an assy file and then a derived part. To expand on this approach I have assembled a hydraulic motor with a Overhanging Load Adapter in an assy file, this insures that both purchased parts are in the BOM and on the Parts Lists but they are inserted from the library location in one step. I do something similar but different with a hydraulic cylinder that is manufactured in house. I have it setup as an Inseperable part because there is no need for all the components to show up in the BOM data or on the Parts List. This is one possible solution to what you are attempting to do.

I could post a screen capture if you need further clarification on the approach I use.

Paul
Message 7 of 8
spawn510

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I've been discussing this problem with a co-worker, and we've determined a very similar approach, but we chose to use both CC and a read-only library location. Let me know what you think.

For all purchased components, we'll model and store them in the CC as a part file. For any required assembly, have a seperate read-only folder, where all of the ipt files come from the CC to make them. Probably also store frequently used assemblies there. People who need the file will be able to use them from the server, but not change them. This should act the same as CC in some way...

Seems that this is the best way to do it. Thanks a lot for all of the help.
Message 8 of 8
SoulAsasin

Hello.

I am facing the same problems with publishing iAssemblyes to CC.As I know publishing iAssemblyes or any assemblyes to CC is not possible.

Your solution will work, but it has a big minus. If you have a read-only library then you always will have parts in your assembly outside the project folder. I don't like this. I don't think this is a profesional solution. But it can work.

What I like about CC parts is that they are saved in you project folder. You don't have any problems.

What I am going to do is redraw the assembly as a multi body iPart and Publish it to the CC. Offcourse you will only have one entity in your BOM. So that can be a problem.

First of all I want to figure out why Autodesk won't include publishing of assemblyes to CC. It would be so usefull!!!

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report