Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added part after .dwg/.ipt views are detailed wreaking havoc...

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jyager
564 Views, 8 Replies

Added part after .dwg/.ipt views are detailed wreaking havoc...

I had several pages of details done for an assembly and a washer was added into a sub-assembly after the fact. These washers were outside of the view window in several views created from locked representations of parts from the assembly, so it expanded the view to encompass these parts floating off in space.

This shot geometry all over the sheet, which I was able to meticulously rope back in by going through all the model views and turning off visibility on these washers. Pain in the behind, but it worked except....

Details seem like the don't come back from this...I don't know if its because the geometry below it moved or what...I can click on the view, and update it and the detail itself comes back in it's respective window but all of it's dimensions are gone?

I'm sure I'm missing some step here to stop this from happening...I know people have to add new parts into models...any help? Thanks!

Inv14

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
DaltonBlevins
in reply to: jyager

If you are using a View Representation, you need to make sure it is associative.

Double Click in your drawing view and when the dialog box comes up look above the "View" window for the checkbox with the "link" beside it. Make sure it is checked...

Picture here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Drawing-View-quot-Associative-quot-Selection/td-p/34...

Message 3 of 9
blair
in reply to: DaltonBlevins

right click on the detail view circle then click attach. pick a point inside the circle. now no matter how big your main view gets or moves on the sheet the detail view will stay attached to what ever you picked

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 9
jtylerbc
in reply to: blair

blair's instructions should be used on every detail view you create.  This will help keep them from shifting out of position both from new parts being added (as just happened to you) and from parts being moved within the assembly, changing sizes, etc.

Message 5 of 9
jyager
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks guys. Knew I was missing something there. Huge help.

Question on the associative part of things just to make sure I understand...when I make the detail off a view rep...if it's not associative, the detail is not showing any other (non view rep) parts at that moment, because of the view rep where I created it from not showing them. If I add a new part, that gets added into all the views (which I guess I know because it happened)?

But if it is associative, I can add parts for days on end but they will not show up because it's associative to the source view? It wil lshow up in that original view rep though right (where the details are linked from)?

I hope that made some resemblance of sense.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 9
jyager

Also, it seems like if it's attached...I can't move the view indicator off of the view rep and if I move the view it moves with it...but if it isn't attached, I still can move the view indicator off the view rep, but if I move the view it follows anyway.

So it seems like attached or not attached it's still following the view?

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 7 of 9
jyager

Sorry one more...

Once those views have jumped like that, the dimensions and leaders that were attached to them just disappear? There's no way to get them back?

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM
Message 8 of 9
jtylerbc

That is true, but it won't always follow reliably to changes unless you attach it.

If you need to move the detail definition after attaching it, you'll have to detach it and then reattach it.

If the dimensions only partially break (ex. they lose one of the objects they're tied to, but not both), they will typically fix themselves when you repair the boundary location.  If you lose both objects, it automatically deletes the dimensions and you have to recreate them.

If your balloons are still present, but just turned sick (pink) because of the error, you can drag them back onto the parts to fix them.  If they disappeared, they're probably gone.

Message 9 of 9
jyager
in reply to: jtylerbc

I played around with it a little...when it's not attached it does move but only with the window at the coordinate in the window it was set down at...irregardless of wether it's over an object or not. So if your window enlarges but the object you wanted that was originally centered now moved left because of a new part...the detail is still centered in the view window, losing it's place over the object.

Makes sense...but I never would have seen that without the help, thanks.

Jason Yager
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report