Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add margin/offset to part edge with hole pattern

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jddrinkwater
2619 Views, 6 Replies

Add margin/offset to part edge with hole pattern

We have several chain guards which we punch from sheet metal.  We recently changed our practice to punch a hole pattern in the part rather than weld in a mesh screen - saves shop assembly/fab time.  See the attached 2 parts.

My question: Is there an automated way of delelecting all holes within X" of the part edge.  Currently we have to go through one by one and it takes a lot of time.  I need some suggestions on how to model this part more efficiently.  As you can see, the designer of the new part got lazy and did a rectangular pattern.  The goal would be to have a consistent margin around the full perimeter of the part more like the first.

Thanks,

John

Old Style:

Capture.JPG

New Style:

Capture.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DRoam
in reply to: jddrinkwater

One possibility would be to actually make the hole pattern LARGER so it actually extends beyond the part. It would make holes in a larger perimeter than you want, like this:

One.png

BUT, then you could create a new extrusion subsequent to the holes which is basically the shape of the non-perforated perimeter that you want to remain untouched. You would create a sketch with the perimeter offset like this:

Two.png

Then, extrude it to re-fill the perimeter like this:

Three.png

Don't know if this works for you situlation but it's one possibility. Hope that helps! 🙂

Message 3 of 7
jddrinkwater
in reply to: DRoam

Good suggestion!  We were playing with it like that, but since we are punching the sheet metal witha circular die, we need to have full holes.  the half circles will have our CNC programmer screaming at me :).

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Delete Face with Heal on the partial holes might be a little less work than finding and suppressing pattern instances.

Too bad Inventor still doesn't have a boundary fill pattern.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
jddrinkwater
in reply to: JDMather

Good idea,  I was thinking also of combining DRoam's plan with one more step: create a new sketch on the face with multiple partial holes, project geometry, then use face to fill in the partial holes.

We were searching high and low for a boundry pattern or some way of using a sketch profile to drive a selection filter for which points to include/exclude from the hole feature.

It looks like the short answer is not solution out of the box. Oh well...

Message 6 of 7
mpatchus

Start with the perforated area size, create the pattern, then create a sketch of the final size of the part.

Use the face tool, and it will fill in any partial holes.

See the attached part.

face.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 7 of 7
jddrinkwater
in reply to: mpatchus

Awesome!  That will work for us.  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report