Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Ins unloading

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
cbenner
837 Views, 14 Replies

Add Ins unloading

Can onyone offer any thoughts on why my Add Ins keep unloading themselves in between sessions of Inventor.  I have seen it happen when my Inventor crashes to desktop, but lately it's every time I open the software.

Only thought I have is that I'm running the Job Processor on this machine, and from time to time it also suffers errors processing visualization files.  Could this be causing my Add In settings to crap out when I close Inventor?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Millehuse
in reply to: cbenner

I know this is an old post, but did you ever find a reason/solution to this? 

We have 2 machines now, that keep dropping their addins, full re-install of Vault/Inventor 2013 hasnt fixed the problem.

Both machines have been used as "job servers" - that's the only thing we can narrow it down to. 

Our IT "guru" is stomped 

Message 3 of 15
cbenner
in reply to: Millehuse

I never did get an answer to this one, but I can say that we have stopped using the Job Processor, and I haven't had this issue since.  Circumstantial, I know, but....

Does the JP crash out on you a lot?

Message 4 of 15
mrattray

Just playing a bit of devil's advocate here... did you guys check load automatically?

Capture.PNG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 15
cbenner
in reply to: mrattray

Mike, yes... at least for my part.  When I was having this problem, all add ins would be auto loaded, something (can't remember the details) would crash me, and when I restarted IV, all add ins would be unloaded and the "autoload" check box was unchecked.  I have not had this problem in a very long time.

Looking at the date of my OP... this was before we went to 2013 also.

Message 6 of 15
blair

Inventor "writes" all changes to settings upon proper closure of the software. If changes are made to settings and IV crashes, then the setting changes will lost.

Possibly the Add-in are causing the crash and IV will not load them again on start-up (just a guess, some form of protection).

Possibly problems with the Windows User Profile and/or insufficient user privileges not allowing the Windows Registry to be updated.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 15
Millehuse

Yup Mike - they are also automatically loaded here. It's a very strange problem to be honest.

We only tested the job server on those 2 PCs for a few days, then stopped using it because it was causing too many issues. This being the most annoying one (another being that it crashed a lot... we were gonna set up a dedicated server to get the job done properly).

The really strange part for us tho, is that it's a really persistant issue, we re-installed vault 2013 + inventor 2013 on one of the PC's - and occasionally it still drops all addins. Occasionally being a few times a week.

Message 8 of 15
BarryZA

I think I am having the same problem. As of Friday I can no longer save my .idw's to AutoCad.dwg.

I get a "failed to initialize 2d translator" error.

I tick the load option for dwg convert in the add-ins tab.

Try to save, get above error.

Go back to add-ins tab, the option has unticked itself.

And of course it has to happen on the day that I need to send 2 different companies AutoCad copies!

-Inv2013 Pro

Message 9 of 15
Millehuse
in reply to: BarryZA
Message 10 of 15
BarryZA

As a matter of fact I do....Come on Autodesk, the promised land of Linux is waiting for you.

Disabled all shields-no change. I have made no other changes to my software other than Avast updates.

Its almost as if the damage is done.

Message 11 of 15
BarryZA

Uninstalled Avast and deleted folder from the regristry, no change.

Maybe a fresh install would be quicker at the end of the day.

Message 12 of 15
Millehuse

Sorry to hear that ... stomped on my issue as well. We'll just live with it untill we need new workstations 😃

Message 13 of 15
mrattray

Did you guys look into Blair's suggestions? He is likely on the right track. Do you guys have local administrative privileges on your machines? When you installed did you follow the AutoDesk Software Installation Guide?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 14 of 15
Millehuse

We have local admin rights on our workstations yes. I can guarantee that the guide wasn't followed point for point.

Our IT department is .. challenged .. they ghost the machines with old updates for just about everything (example our grafichs driver is from 2011) and grunt and growl when we suggest otherwise. It's an entire different battle which will have to be won first.

Message 15 of 15
blair

Possbily try a new User Profile and have the IT set up a temporary User Group, something like CAD ADMIN with higher prividges as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report