Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptivity feature Help!

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jonoc90
525 Views, 7 Replies

Adaptivity feature Help!

I'm working in Inventor 2012, and I found out recently this new "Adaptive feature" by Internet

My problem is that even if Im following tutorials and so on by Internet In my assembly file I can't make it adaptive.

For Example

1.-just Extruded a simple .ipt with an square hole inside and saved it

2.-Then I Extruded another simple .ipt file which I defined as adaptive by doing roght-click as showed in some tutorials, and it shows me that it was correct defined as adaptive cause I see the little arrows showed right next to my solid .ipt in the extrude.

3.-when I create a new assembly file, I first place the squared extrude with the hole (defined by default as Grounded)

4.- I Place my adaptive square Part in the assembly

Bt then, when I constrain the square to tap the hole, the first 2 constrains makes it well, but when i get to the 3rd one, so My adaptive solid have to chage, DOESN'T MAKE IT. it shows me an error.

IM ATTACHING PICTURES OF WHAT I'M GETTING

THANKS!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: jonoc90

Start sketch in second part.  (editing second part in assembly)

Project Geometry edges from first part into second part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
jonoc90
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JDMather!

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

1. You don't, at least not intially.  (see #2)

2. I order for something to adapt it must reference something to adapt to.

A geometry edge (like line or circle) in one part is referenced into another part to cause the second part to adapt to the first.
Until it is projected (Project Geometry) there is no associative reference established.

I recommend learning Derived Components and Multi-body solids before moving to Adaptive parts.  Adaptivity is almost always used incorrectly and without understanding (in my opinion based on the examples users post here).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
cmcconnell
in reply to: JDMather

I agree with JD - it has been my experience that Adaptivity will always bite you. It will either stop working, blow up or destroy the performance of your dataset.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 6 of 8
jonoc90

Thanks for recomendations and help!

Ill keep it in mind from now on... 🙂

Message 7 of 8
swhite

Your original adaptivity failed most likely because once placed in the assembly you must select the adaptive part and tell it to be adaptive (part) or flexible (assembly) inside the parent assembly, not just in the part or sub-assembly itself. Projection of adaptive lines is unessecary and uses up extra resources in calculations internally, unless you must have those lines to make the part that step is uneeded and a resource hog. Most likely your extrision that is adaptive is facing up, not in the direction you want it to be adaptive in. Only if you need it to adapt in more than one direction will you need projected lines.

Adaptive.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 8 of 8
swhite

Just a small tidbit of info. This sample has no adaptivity at all yet my two parts will always remain the same size as long as the feature in part 1 is changed. This is done by opening part 2, going to the parameters, and linking it to part one and importing the correct parameter and assinging it to the extrusion length. This can be done on any paramter and as part one is changed part 2 will automatically update to match.

Adaptive 2.PNG

Adaptive 3.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report