Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptively used in assembly grayed out

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Tom_V
1842 Views, 7 Replies

Adaptively used in assembly grayed out

Hi,

I'm working on an assembly with subassembly. But for some reason or another, I can't use adaptivity on some parts. It's not a problem to project the geometry from another part. But when I move that part (wich I have projected) the projection on my sketch doesnt move with it. And in Tools>DocumentSettings>Modeling is "Adaptively used in assembly" grayed out (so I'm not able to select it). 

The parts where I have this issue are copies of similar parts which are used in other subassembly. I removed adaptively with the previous assembly after taking a copy. Someone who had similar problems and could solve it? 

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: Tom_V

Welcome to the group.

From your description it's hard to tell exactly what you need adaptivity for.  Can you post a screen shot of what you're trying to do?  Sounds like what you're really looking for is cross part associations in sketching.

Screen shots would really help.  here is the Help link to adaptivity and it's uses:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?query=adaptivity

Message 3 of 8
Tom_V
in reply to: cbenner

Well, I have a part (sheet metal). I have to make some holes in it to position the reinforcements. Then I project the geometry from the positioning taps on my reinforcements, make an offset and make the cutout. So far so good. But When I move my reinforcement, my cutout doesnt move with it. My sketch, and cutout are set adaptive. But if you can't check on "adaptively used in assembly", you cant make something adaptive... 

Message 4 of 8
cbenner

Unless I'm way off, I believe that would only be checked if something IS being used adaptively in the assembly already.  You would uncheck it to clear that adaptivity so that part could be used adaptively someplace else.  A part that is modeled as adaptive may only be used adaptively once.  I don' think that adaptivity has anything to do with cross part associations when you project geometry into a sketch inside of an assembly.  I'm not sure what is causing your sketch geometry to not follow the part it was projected from....

Would it be possible to post the assembly, or a sample assembly that has the same problem?  And also,.. what version of Inventor is this?  That will let forum readers know if they can oipen your files or not.

Message 5 of 8
Tom_V

Here is a part of the whole assembly. The part where I have this problem is Adapt.SheetMetal.ipt. 

When I move the reinforcement, the cutouts for the positioning pins have to move with them (NOT vice versa).

Thanks

Message 6 of 8
cbenner

@Tom_V wrote:

Here is a part of the whole assembly. The part where I have this problem is Adapt.SheetMetal.ipt. 

When I move the reinforcement, the cutouts for the positioning pins have to move with them (NOT vice versa).

Thanks

First thing I noticed was that nothing in your assembly was checked as adaptive, nor are any of your sketches adaptive.  That said....

Positioning pins... I assume you  mean the two small holes in the first part?  You do not have the location of these holes tied to the reinforcement in any way.  If they are dependant on the location of the reinforcement, I think I would add them as a separate feature in the top plate, after the reinforcement has been added to the assembly, and use the edge of the reinforcement plate as a reference in your sketch for the holes.  Right now the only relationship is between the reinforcement and the edge of the square cutout, as defined by your constraints.  None of this, btw, requires any adaptivity.  It can all be done with sketch references.  Take a look....  Change the 120mm dimension on the Align constraint for the reinforcement plate and watch the holes.

Message 7 of 8
Tom_V

That's just the problem. I project the contour from the small pins on the reinforcements and then constrain my sketch on that square that I projected to make the cutout. So far so good. But when I made the cutout and then move the reinforcement, It's just like he "forgot" that it's a projection from that face. The contour doesn't give any problems or errors. But it doesnt stay on the place of my reinforcement. In another assemby it works fine. The plate that you got from me is a copy from a previous assembly and there I don't have any problems... 

I'll check out your files tomorrow morning (don't have Inventor 2013 on this pc at the moment). 

Thanks

Message 8 of 8
Tom_V

I checked your files and indeed there are no problems there. In the mean time I "solved" the problem bij saving a kopie from the files who give that problem. And then he does what I want without any problem. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report