Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Sub Assemblies (Used for Animation)

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
wseaston
581 Views, 1 Reply

Adaptive Sub Assemblies (Used for Animation)

Hi Guys,

I have a main assembly which contains 2 sub assemblies (Identical Sliding Cover Assemblies). As they are in reality identical, I have simply inserted the same sub assembly twice. I made the first instance adaptive, this allowed me to "drive" the sub assembly using inventor studio. When it came to the 2nd instance, however, I could not set it to be adaptive. When I play my current animation, the second instance moves in the same manner as the first instance, even though I have not specified the manner in which I want it to move.

In reality, these sub assemblies are identical but when used in the top lever assembly their motion is opposite.

How can I achieve this without creating a unnecessary copy of the sub assembly.

Thanks
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
johnsonshiue
in reply to: wseaston

Hi! Instead of making them Adaptive, you should set them to Flexible. Adaptive and Flexible are two different concepts, even though they feel the same in your workflow.
Adaptive is for geometry deformation (adaptive feature or adaptive sketch). In Inventor, all instances of a definition have to have the same geometry. Therefore, Adaptive is only allowed in one instance of a definition. As you have seen, the second subassembly cannot be made adaptive, because Sub1:1 and Sub1:2 belong to the same definition.
Flexible does not change geometry. So, it can be used in multiple instances. What it does is exposing the degree of freedom between the components in the subassembly, which is exactly the workflow you are attempting.
Thanks!

johnson.shiue@autodesk.com

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report