Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Action plan for dealing with 3d scan in point cloud format

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
DevinCurrie
444 Views, 3 Replies

Action plan for dealing with 3d scan in point cloud format

Hello, I'm new to Inventor (currently using 2012) so I'm not too familiar with the software.

I have 3d scan of aircraft door frame (see attach) in point cloud format. I'd like to overlap 5 different frames and construct a new 6th frame by averaging out all of the points.

At the moment, the 3d data files has no surface and I'm unsure if adding surface is need to help with the construction of the 6th frame. I will also need to take into consider alignment, point density, and orientation when overlapping all of the frames before I can start work to average all points (Note: each scan are taken from 5 different vehicle).

If it help, I have both Rhino3D and Autodesk Alias Design 2012.

What are the logical steps to do in this case?

Thanks!

Devin

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: DevinCurrie

It is unclear to me if this file includes all 5 scans or just 1 of the 5 (looks like the later case to me).

I don't know of an automatic Easy Button in Inventor to average the point locations.

Only way I know is to use them for visual reference and sketch using logical dimensions (most designers would use nice numbers, so it should be relatively easy to figure out the design intent within reason).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
DevinCurrie
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry it is just one frame. I didn't include the others as it is similar except for orientation and small physical difference.

Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: DevinCurrie

Using them for visual reference I would edit the 3D sketch and select all the points with a window selection and toggle to points (rather than center-points).

I would go to Tools>Application Options>General tab and set Annotation scale to .2 (to make the points smaller as when you get 5 scans in there it will be pretty dense).

The rest is all manual labor to proceed.

I seem to recall that there is some new point cloud something or other in 2013, but even if there is (I just looked and couldn't find anything) I don't think it would be the Easy Button I suspect you are after.

Edit: just searched Google on Autodesk Inventor 2013 Point Cloud and got a bunch of Youtube hits - you might check them out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report