Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About changing the size of component after assembly

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
778 Views, 9 Replies

About changing the size of component after assembly

Hi all,

I just download the AutoDesk Inventor 2012 but I didn't use this software before. I just download an example and refer youtube to create my own parts. But when I place all parts together, i.e. assemble all parts, I find that the parts are not looks good because the size either too big or too small. I try the whole afternoon but I still can't find the way to change the size of an individual component. Anyone could help with that? Thanks.

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Post example file here.

Edit the sketch or feature dimensions to change size.

Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials and Skillbuilders

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks. I click Help->Learning Tools->Skill Builders but nothing happen 😞

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I am  editing the stretch and trying to use the Scale function in Modify block, but no effect. Sorry, I really has no idea how to modify the size, how to enlarge all parts in the stretch with some factor?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I don't know if this is the reason why I can use the Scale to modify the size of the stretch but I found that if I remove some of the contraints, I can scale partial of the stretch. But I saw that there are 200 contraints and if there is anyway I remove all of them at a time, scle the stretch and then put all the constraints back? Thanks.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I here upload the project I am working on. The vane is so big while the ratchet is so small. I want the ratchet is about the same size of the vane.

Message 7 of 10
SBix26

Ratchet.ipt has no dimensions, nor even constraints.  Dimensions are the means by which you may change the size of things.  Unlike AutoCAD, the dimensions control the geometry, not the other way around.  Place sensible constraints and dimensions on the sketch until the lower right of the status bar indicates "fully constrained".  Right now it says "25 dimensions needed".

When this is done, you can alter the size of the ratchet by changing the dimensions.  For example, the hole now measures exactly 10 mm (how did you produce this sketch to exact measurements without dimensions?); with a diameter dimension in place, all you need to do to change the hole to 10.5 mm is to edit the dimension and change it there.

In regards to that hole: you will probably want to leave that off the outline sketch and add it later as a hole feature.  This allows your drawing to use the Hole/Thread Annotation tool to properly annotate the hole.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

I would suggest starting from an empty part file.

Using an appropriate template, create a sketch of your base feature. Create a simple part and then assemble it with another simple part.

I'm not certain why you would start out trying to scale parts created by another designer.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

As noted, TYPICALLY you will change the size of a part by modifying a key dimension of a key feature of the part.

Message 10 of 10
mrattray

You need to seriously consider taking some training courses. I highly recommend formal training.

If this is not an option then you need to spend at least a good 40 hours if not more going through tutorial exercises just to get a very basic, sloppy, minimal understanding of how to use this software.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report