Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD250 or Xeon3.6

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
287 Views, 9 Replies

AMD250 or Xeon3.6

I know something similar is asked before, but to search this newsgroup to find the right answer is taking ages. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Let's say if the price is about the same which one of the systems should I choose? And most importantly why? The company I'm working for currently works with Dell's, so I have to get some pretty good arguments to persuade them otherwise.

Dell precision 670
Dual Xeon3.6Ghz (Intel EM64T - 800MhzFSB/1Mb cache)
4Gb 400Mhz DDR2 ECC SDRAMM
2x 36 Gb SCSI (15000rpm / raid 1)
Nvidia FX3400 (PCI - 256Mb)

Fujitsu Celcius V810
2x AMD Opteron 250 (2.4 Ghz)
4Gb DDR SDRAM PC400
2x 36 Gb SCSI (15000rpm / raid 1)
Nvidia FX4000 (AGP - 256Mb)

I read a promising report about the Fujitsu (http://go.cadwire.net/?2496,2,101.581,572 - thanks Bob), but unfortunately there wasn't a comparison with the Dell.

Hopefully you can help me.
Thanks

Chris
Current specs:
Dell 650
Dual Xeon 2,66 Ghz
2Gb ramm
1x 36Gb 15000rpm SCSI
Nvidia 980 XGL
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I would say if it were possible to bench both systems with IV the AMD should edge out the Intel but only by a slim margin. I say this because of the bench testing I have seen and the fact that you have specified the FX4000 on the Fujitsu system. Also at some point I would expect that Autodesk may support a 64 bit Windows OS and that would only go to extend the performance gap between the two. One last thing both IBM and HP now offer workstations with AMD cpu's. I mentioned this only because most IT types think AMD cpu's are only for home and or gamming PC's. Looking at the spec's you provided I would say that the Dell system maybe more stable because of the ECC type RAM. At the end of the day you will most likely not find any conclusive information that will persuade your company to change to any other computer supplier... but that Dell system should really fly 😉
Message 3 of 10
Simon Kursa

I've heard that Inventor does not support Dual processors so would that be a waste then??????
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Simon, you are right. Inventor does not support it, but if Inventor is occupied you can switch to another application and continue to work. I am in a very lucky position that my (almost new) boss just want's the best and money comes in second place.

Thanks Ray for your comments, very useful.
I forgot to mention that the Fujitsu has ECC memory as well. Lucky me:) About the FX4000: Do you mean it's a good thing or is there a better alternative?

Hopefully there are some Inventor cracks who can give some more comments I would appreciate it very much!

Chris
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Send me one of each for a six month trial and I'll let you know which to choose. Seriously, both units you have specified are going to haul the bacon. The choice boils down to an AMD processor and AGP mother board vs an Intel processor and PCI Express mother board. How many times do you expect to really task the system to where you would notice the difference between the two processors? I would guess probably less than 5% of the time, if that often. The 4GB of RAM is nice, but will only be usable if you run XP Pro with the /3GB switch. Frankly, I wouldn't care which of those machines was sitting on my desk, however I would insist on having a Dell 1901FP or 2001FP UltraSharp LCD monitor hooked up to it (or better yet, two). notivexpert wrote: > I know something similar is asked before, but to search this newsgroup to find the right answer is taking ages. So any help is greatly appreciated. > > Let's say if the price is about the same which one of the systems should I choose? And most importantly why? The company I'm working for currently works with Dell's, so I have to get some pretty good arguments to persuade them otherwise. > > Dell precision 670 > Dual Xeon3.6Ghz (Intel EM64T - 800MhzFSB/1Mb cache) > 4Gb 400Mhz DDR2 ECC SDRAMM > 2x 36 Gb SCSI (15000rpm / raid 1) > Nvidia FX3400 (PCI - 256Mb) > > Fujitsu Celcius V810 > 2x AMD Opteron 250 (2.4 Ghz) > 4Gb DDR SDRAM PC400 > 2x 36 Gb SCSI (15000rpm / raid 1) > Nvidia FX4000 (AGP - 256Mb) > > I read a promising report about the Fujitsu (http://go.cadwire.net/?2496,2,101.581,572 - thanks Bob), but unfortunately there wasn't a comparison with the Dell. > > Hopefully you can help me. > Thanks > > Chris > Current specs: > Dell 650 > Dual Xeon 2,66 Ghz > 2Gb ramm > 1x 36Gb 15000rpm SCSI > Nvidia 980 XGL -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.6085 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I couldnt agree more.
Dual PC's is much more responsive to work with.

Some time ago, I did some work doing animations on a beautiful dual-AMD athlon-machine.
IV/Animator worked fulltime on one CPU and I worked with a heavy video-editing software on the other.

I couldn't have done it without a dual.

By the way, I would have chosen the Opteron-machine.
Raw prosessing power on those beasts.
And you can upgrade to 64-bit windows later. That will help on memory-handling on large Inventor-models.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Heck a lot of us would be happy with the machine he is REPLACING! LOL
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

rllthomas, I am currently hired in from another company but I am planning to make a switch. So my computer goes back to my current boss and therefore we have to order a new system. But I know that it's a very luxuries "problem" I'm having 😉

Hall, we are indeed planning to going to use the /3Gb switch, because we are foreseeing more and more problems with our performance. We just did a few machines (approx 2000-3000 parts each) in Inventor and performance is decreasing rapidly as the assemblies starts to grow. In the future we want to make complete layouts (approx. 8 machines/layout with an average of 3000 parts) of our machines. We currently are still doing this in AutoCAD. It's just not workable/possible to combine these machines in Inventor right now.

Like jorgen I would like to go for the opterons and it also seems to be that the Fujitsu is about 1000 euro cheaper then the Dell. Perhaps that can help me persuade my boss even more.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

If you aren't currently, you probably want to start using some design views to turn off visibility of small and internal components in your layouts.
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

We aren't really using it yet, but we are also planning to have a look at that too. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report