Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d lines in inventor 2013

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
pquenzi
1153 Views, 10 Replies

3d lines in inventor 2013

I just switched from Inventor 2011 to 2013 and find the procedure to make 3d hose and tubes has changed a lot. Where can I find a tutorial or video that explains the procedure. I have looked at the tutorial work features video and the various help sections, but still do not understand the process. Thank you. Phil

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: pquenzi

Is this what you are looking for?

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0126-Tutorial126/1042-Tube_and1042

or is that what you have already looked through?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
pquenzi

It got me started. I am trying to make hoses between hose ends I have in my library (using hydraulic hose-no fittings style), not ones from the content center (I don’t seem to have those anyhow). I can construct the route between the two hose ends (after a fashion), but do not know how to get the hose on the route. In 2011 I’d simply sweep a 2d sketch along the 3d line. Can you give me some tips on how to do this. The tutorial does not seem to cover this scenario. Also, is it possible to use the same method I used in 2011. I’ve made hundreds of hoses with that method and it worked very well.  Thank you. Phil

Message 4 of 11
pquenzi

I have one more question on 3d lines. I have "Autodesk Product Design Suite premium 2013". Is this product sopposed to have the various content center hose ends and fittings and I just did not install them? Thanks. Phil

Message 5 of 11
pquenzi

I don't mean to keep talking to myself, but what started all this was (and is) my inability to make a point at the intersection of a work axis and work plane while in 3d sketch. If I knew how to do that I think I'd be all set. Can anyone help me do that? Thanks. Phil

Message 6 of 11
JDMather

You should have Content Center installed.

As for the point / work axis / plane intersection, how are you starting the run?

Are you clicking on 3D Sketch, or are you using the Routed Systems - New Route tool to create the 3D sketch??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
pquenzi
in reply to: JDMather

I do have content center installed, but the pipe elbows etc are not there. Perhaps I did not select them when I installed content center, is that possible. I am not too concerned about that as long as I can make 3d sketches and sweep a profile as I mostly make hoses with hose ends I have in my library. Assuming I have two hose ends and some clamps in between, I start a new part, constrain it to the end of one of the hose ends, make the 2d sketch and then switch to 3d sketch. I then make a work axis on the center of the hose end and an adaptive work plane offset 0" from the end of the hose end. I then make another work plane offset from the first adaptive work plane and then (try to) make a work point at the intersection of the work axis and the second work plane, but it will not do it. If I make the work points in the context of the parts (the hose ends say) I can then pick those work points when I try to make the points in my 3d sketch but my hose ends are library parts and I cannot modify them from within the assembly. So, my question is: how do I make that work point at the intersection of the 3d sketch work axis and work plane? I have no luck in using that point triad to position the point. Thank you for your help. Phil Quenzi Prime Designs pquenzi@starband.net 906-482-7476
Message 8 of 11
JDMather

In your original post you started out by stating you just switched from 2011 to 2013.

Did this technique work for you in 2011?

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
pquenzi

I found the problem. When I added point to my ribbon I used "point" not "work point". Everyting is fine now. Thank you for your help. Phil

Message 10 of 11
pquenzi
in reply to: JDMather

I've made hundreds of hoses that way, and I find it works exactly the same in 2013 if only I had picked "work point" to add to my 3d sketch ribbon instead of "point". Sorry about taking up your time with my mistake. Phil Quenzi Prime Designs pquenzi@starband.net 906-482-7476
Message 11 of 11
pquenzi

accept as solution

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report