Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3Gb switch

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mecad
425 Views, 3 Replies

3Gb switch

I have to run a 32 bit system at the moment, have seen several posts re 3Gb switch and was thinking turning it on.

Question is , are there any downsides to doing that either inside or outside inventor?

Thanks

Mike

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Daniela_Koloszko
in reply to: mecad

If you use Inventor 2012, it is not recommended because of the following reasons:

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2011/06/use-of-3gb-switch-with-inventor-2012-on-32...

If you use an older version of Inventor, please see this document for more details:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9583842&linkID=9240697

Daniela Koloszko

Message 3 of 4
jtylerbc
in reply to: mecad

We used to run it on some computers at my previous company, mostly as a stalling tactic until we could get some XP 64 bit machines.

We did notice some odd behaviors from time to time in other programs.  It was nothing really predictable, but some of the intermittant issues we saw were:

Our legacy Ideas CAD system hated it, and sometimes wouldn't even start up in 3GB mode.

On some computers, screen savers would not activate while in 3 GB mode.

Increased random crashes of other programs (non-Inventor) while running them at the same time as Inventor.

No issues were ever seen with Inventor - it was always side effects somewhere else in the system.

These are the ones I remember (it's been a couple of years since I was there).  The conclusion we came to was to only use the 3GB mode when we actually needed it, and run normally the rest of the time. 

Message 4 of 4
mecad
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks for replies, will probably leave it off as I am running Inv 2012, Answer is to upgrade to 64bit as soon as can be justified. .

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report