Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D sketches in drawing file

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
nige106
334 Views, 6 Replies

2D sketches in drawing file

Quite often we cretae schematic line drawings for clients approval before creating full 3D models for production. Is it possible to achieve this in Inventor and maybe go on to use the sketches as a master filoe to drive the design? Or should I continue to get approval based in AutoCAD and then switch over to Inventor?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: nige106

Sounds like typical master (skeletal) modeling technique.

Attach an example here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
nige106
in reply to: JDMather

Okay I've mapped out a very basic grid layout which is typical of something I'd need to get approval on. So how would I get from this into a dimensioned DWG file? Hopefully I'll be able to use this .ipt file to drive the rest of the design.

Message 4 of 7
nige106

Added a side view.

Message 5 of 7
JDMather

Do you need isometric view or only 2D orthgraphic views?

If the latter - I would add some small solid feature just for the purpose of being able to create drawing views and then set the views to Include Sketches.

If you need isometric - the only way I know is to include a screen capture image in the drawing.

wireframe.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 7
nige106
in reply to: JDMather

Would it be best to create a surface rather than solid so that I don't add any weight if I use the .ipt file as the basis for skeletal modeling?

Message 7 of 7
JDMather

That would work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report