Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Bugs with Sketch tab always being visible

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
prachu
684 Views, 11 Replies

2015 Bugs with Sketch tab always being visible

The first one might not be a bug, but it is still annoying and I'm pretty sure it's caused by the sketch tab now being visible all the time. There are several shortcut keys that I use for multiple commands depending on if I am in a part or a sketch. In 2014, if I was in a sketch it would default to the sketch command and if I was in a part/drawing/assembly it would default to that command. Now in 2015 since the sketch tab is always visible it doesn't know which I want to use and makes me choose one. It's mostly just an annoyance adding extra clicks that shouldn't be necessary. The second problem is related to that one but is definitely a bug. The "Text" command in the "Annotate" tab on a drawing file and the "Text" command in the sketch tab do 2 different things but can't be assigned different shortcuts. Pressing the button in the "Annotate" tab does what it has always done and makes a simple text box without adding any features to the tree. The shortcut assigned to it however, uses the "Text" function within the sketch tab which creates a sketch in the feature tree and then puts the text box in that. This means you have to edit the sketch and then edit the text box every time you want to change something instead being able to just edit the text box right away. In the keyboard customization window the "Text" option is listed under the "Annotation" category but not the "Sketch" category even though it controls the on in the "Sketch" category.
Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
-niels-
in reply to: prachu

Just adding my confirmation, the shortcut "T" defaults to the text tool on the sketch tab when in the drawing environment.

This should at least default to the text tool from the annotation tab, but there should also be a different entry in the keyboard customization for the text tool in the sketch.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 12
aguitton116
in reply to: -niels-

I confirm that as well on french version 😉

Message 4 of 12
prachu

I got an email back from someone at autodesk. They are apparently aware of the "Text" command problem and are working on separating the Annotation Text and Sketch Text commands to give them their own shortcuts.
Message 5 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: aguitton116

I've already reported this bug with the "T" shortcut in the drawing environment.

It starts a sketch and starts text.. It shouldn't do that.. It has been reported to Autodesk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 12
stephenson513
in reply to: mcgyvr

what is the point of have the sketch button available when you are already in the sketch environment. I keep clicking it thinking its the create a line button and its messing me up all the time!!! Smiley Mad

Message 7 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: stephenson513

@stephenson513 wrote:

what is the point of have the sketch button available when you are already in the sketch environment. I keep clicking it thinking its the create a line button and its messing me up all the time!!! Smiley Mad

There is no point.. Just another poorly thought-out "feature" IMO

At least you can turn it off though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 8 of 12
rdyson
in reply to: mcgyvr

My guess is that newbies were complaining about not being able to find the sketch tools, though having them available doesn't make them useful

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: rdyson

@rdyson wrote:
My guess is that newbies were complaining about not being able to find the sketch tools, though having them available doesn't make them useful

Having it always visible in all other tabs is great but obviously having it in the sketch environment is just pointless obviously.. A newbie has already found out how to sketch..

Autodesk.. Just remove it from there.. Even better give us 100% full control over what tabs are where, what buttons are on what, remove buttons,add buttons, etc... 

Message 10 of 12
jtylerbc

Perhaps more of a rant than a bug report:

This "sketch tab always visible" features has caused issues, as noted in this thread.  The biggest of these seems to be the issue with the shortcut "T" starting a sketch and creating text in the sketch, rather than making a text note on a drawing sheet.  Additionally, it messes with other shortcuts that people are used to using.  One that stands out for me is "C" for circle.  Since I started using Inventor in release 2007 or 2008, "C" started a centerpoint circle in Inventor.  "C" starts a centerpoint circle in AutoCAD, which is what most of my users are transition to Inventor from, so many of them are already used to using that key before they even start using Inventor.

Having this tab available does not seem to allow a user to do anything that could not already have been done.  Using any of the commands on the sketch tab (line, circle, arc, etc.) initiates the process of creating a sketch, saving only one click versus the way it would have been done before this change (the click of the "Sketch" button itself).  In a drawing, it actually makes the classic error of forgetting to select a view before starting a sketch even easier to do.

I'm not one to stubbornly argue against interface changes, but what exactly was this change supposed to do to help anyone?  As far as I can see, this change has scrambled hotkeys people have used for years, introduced bugs, and made a common newbie mistake even easier to make, without actually improving anything.

Am I missing something here?  In what way was an ever-present sketch tab on the ribbon supposed to actually be useful?

Message 11 of 12
mistergoodwin

Firtsly *BUMP* getting really tired of Autodesk doing this, there's no real benefit for subscribers like myself when they pull something like this every release it always feels like we are beta testers, how can engineering software have so little in terms of customising the interface and behaviours??
(As it is every release I have to dig into the registry to set the default behaviour to turn off colour override for the "make components" command and make sure the rest of my department applies it.)

Secondly, this is rather annoying because I had many shortcuts assigned the same letters based on what environment/drawing mode i was in and now I have to reassign all my commands just because the sketch bar shortcuts are now always directly available regardless. i.e.

L in drawings would start CenterLines, in sketch mode it would start Line.
C in sketch mode would start Circle, in Assembly it would start Constrain.

Is there a way I can stop the sketch bar from this new behaviour? Really not keen on digging through the registry just yet, I have much more important work to do, less efficiently than before... 😛
Message 12 of 12
prachu

SP1 finally gave the 2 different text commands different shortcuts, but they didn't give the annotate text command a default key even though most people would probably prefer to use that one in drawing files.

They probably don't see the problem with sketch commands always being active as a bug so we're most likely stuck with that "feature" and have tobe content with changing a bunch of shortcuts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report